Monday, May 3, 2010

Welcome to Mexico, have some Tequila!

I'm not a fan of Tequila, in fact I would say that I dislike tequila. But in Mexico it is just rude to turn down a shot or two. I am always up for a shot of tequila, I blame that on family campouts, and other family related get-togethers. I was raised to be proud of drinking and I'll be damned if a headache will get in my way of a tequila shot.

Today we went to the Universidad de Colima for the first time. We were welcomed wholly with open arms and gifts. It was great to feel so accepted into the culture. We met a few of the important people at the school, had a tour of the campus, and of the town. I can tell this place is going to be great.

From our tour of downtown the bus stopped and we headed out onto the streets of central Colima. It was HOT! Mucho Caliente!! I had slathered on the spf60 so I once again avoided achieving any colour what-so-ever. Tomorrow might have to be an spf30 kind of day.

I always seem to forget just how white or fair I am, but it is hard to forget in a place like Colima. Ever since I visited Italy I have stood by the fact that I am not just Caucasian, I am extremely Caucasian. And it is no exception here. With red hair and white skin hiding under an umbrella I stand out like a sore thumb. Not that it is really a problem, it is just I like to think of myself as a good type of fair, not a type of fair that deserves being stared at. Under the circumstances and in a sea of dark hair and dark eyes it is not surprising.

Afterwards I returned home for an afternoon lunch, which takes place in the late afternoon, around 2pm in my case. I followed this by painting my nails and having a long wonderful nap beside an open window with a glorious breeze. *sigh*

Upon waking up and the possibility of broken plans due to "Mexico Time" - a general relaxed way of life - I was feeling a little down. It is hard to be in a house with only one other person who speaks only Spanish. Upon feeling sorry for myself that everyone else I am traveling with has a buddy staying with them for them to socialize I discovered plans to go to a bar this evening for some socializing and perhaps even some cervezas?!

Plans were arranged and I met up with some lovely ladies that live only blocks from my house at the only Starbucks in town, we hopped a cab and met up with (amazingly) everyone who was on the trip at a bar across town (20 peso for the trip, everything is so cheap here!!)

The night which involved many tall beer dispensers, a quesadilla or two, and a tequila shot or two eased any worries I had about being left alone in my house any further. Tomorrow is the day we are to buy cell phones and I've been invited to text mostly anyone on the trip should I ever feel lonely or bored and need a friend to hang out with! Mucho Gracias!!

But back to the part about the tequila. I think perhaps it is better in Mexico :)

Tomorrow is our first day in the classroom, we will be discussing what our respective topics of interest are, assignment expectations, classroom hours, etc. and really get started in our research. I think it will prove to be a great starting point to make this whole Mexico thing make sense. I can hardly wait. But for now, bed time as school starts at 9:30am and I surely need some rest.

Today's High: 33℃ and sunny

Today I learned:
  • Walking alone in Mexico is only as scary as you make it
  • To trust people more than I often allow
I am grateful for:
  • Open windows with welcome breezes
  • Umbrellas to guard from the sun
  • Birkenstock t-strap sandals for function and fashion
  • New friends to make me feel at home

3 comments:

  1. Ah yes, tequila. I love it here and I have so often heard it is so much better in Mexico. You lucky person you. Maybe you will come home and even have a drink of it with me. I'd ask you to bring a bottle back but you will probably have so many more important things to return with so no worries.

    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Glad that you have friends! Hows that Mexican cell phone working out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty great. Only problem is that things like voicemail are in Spanish, so I don't actually know how to delete messages. Otherwise it has been a great help.

    ReplyDelete