Thursday, May 6, 2010

Agua!

I'm trying hard to keep this blog away from a daily journal entry, but of course that is what it has turned into. I wanted to avoid this for a number of reasons. I don't like reading journals, not even my own. I've kept a number of journals on various different trips and I can't bring myself to read them, I think I sound like an idiot afterwards. Regardless I realize that this blog is the way I am informing my friends and family at home of my daily activities, so for this reason I shall maintain my journal-esque entries, although I will try to shorten their length.

Also, it isn't that I don't want to upload many pictures it is just that I haven't taken many pictures. Most people on this trip I have known for about 6 days, and we haven't really done many 'touristy' things that deserve photos.

Today was a later start, which was very nice. However due to my very hard bed I ended up waking up a little earlier than planned. Have I mentioned my bed is hard? So hard in fact that my hips feel bruised and were red this morning. Ouch!

Class had our next presentation, I feel it went well but you never really know with this professor.

After class a group of girls and I headed over to a hotel very close to the university for lunch. It has a very cute restaurant that is a little pricier but the food is so delicious! As it so happened, it is the hotel our professor is staying at and he happened to be having lunch at the same time and stopped in for a bite at our table. After a very delicious and very filling lunch we met up with some other students at this hotel's pool, which is a very large pool, with about 3 pool areas, waterfalls, slides, swimup bar (which happened to be closed), etc. The water was cool enough to chill you down, it was perfect. We spent hours just standing in the water. So lovely. And I didn't even burn! Believe that. For the first time on this trip I had a relaxing, Mexico holiday experience. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not on holiday but the water is such a necessity in Mexico for feeling comfortable. It was the best way to spend the hottest time of day here.

After the short walk home I cooled down, made a phone call or two home and got ready to go out for the night to meet up with my fellow students down town. I changed and went looking for a cab. When I got downtown I realized I had forgotten my cell phone in my room, the one thing that would help me find my fellow students was missing. After a slight 'oh no' I started walking, they had to be there somewhere. It was only a matter of moments before I heard my name being called from across the street - they were all at a local hotel patio enjoying the atmosphere. In the town square is a beautiful park and central to that is a large gazebo where they had live music playing (bandstand style), and the streets were busy, families with small children walked around, older couples danced. It was wonderful. In addition to all this I was sitting around in shorts and a t-shirt all night and never once did I feel cold, that is a wonderful thing.

Not long after one of the coordinators walked by, he had spotted us (which is very easy to do) and came for a visit. He showed us to another bar which would have more room for us to sit in one large group. We all had another drink or two, but it wasn't long before we were all fading quickly. Most of the group had been out late the night before, and even those of us who hadn't were tired from the sun at the pool.

Today's High: 36℃ and Sunny

Today I learned:
  • That maybe I can be a little less careful in the sun and not get a sunburn. Not that I will be reckless. The heat is deceiving.
I am grateful for:
  • Umbrellas
  • Swimming pools
  • New friends

1 comment:

  1. I wrote a long comment on here, thought I saved it, went to another page, came back, its gone. Something about the heat, the pool, enjoy it all bla bla bla.

    ReplyDelete