Tuesday, May 25, 2010

And in the end, The love you take, Is equal to the love you make

I was stung by a bee today. In between my "ring" and middle toe on my right foot. Stupid bumble bee. I do take some solace in knowing that its stinger was stuck in my foot thereby ripping out its little torso and killing it. That might be a morbid thought but I wasn't doing anything wrong and now my toes hurt.

Today was our last full day here in sunny Colima. The day started in class, we had to hand in our final reports. The class that followed was a light hearted wrap up. There was an award ceremony of "most likely to..." in addition to judgement of our masks we painted (mine got 5th and I was offered a large stuffed animal that danced, I turned it down. I don't have use or room for that).

It was a short class. We went over to the cafeteria to say goodbye to the homestay mom of a couple of the girls who owns the cafeteria. While sitting I seriously considered changing my flight and I was pretty set on it, but after some discussion and my failed attempt at getting another girl to stay and fly back with me on Friday and a looming hour timeline to actually switch before the 24hr penalty fees started to emerge convinced me that going home was likely the best call. I really just wanted a few days to relax in the sun and do a few things I hadn't yet had the chance to do but had I flown back Friday I would have had Saturday to get everything ready to leave on Sunday to Moncton.

We walked over to the pool because that was the plan for the day. An entire, guilt free, day at the pool! It was great, and SO hot. The pool isn't super busy during the weekdays so for quite some time we had the entire pool to ourselves. Once we got hungry we wandered into the restaurant for a bite and to escape the sun for a while. Basically we lounged and sunned and swam and it was great.

As the day went on I started to move out of the sun - didn't want to burn on the last day. As I was lying in the shade I got stung, stupid bee. At that point I grabbed my shirt and some ice and decided to call it a day with the pool. As some of you may know it is my 23rd birthday tomorrow and seeing as tomorrow is going to be a sucky day of traveling the festivities started a little early, against my recommendation. I love birthday weeks and weekends, but I feel like they should start on your actual birthday and go from there. Anyways at one point everyone was in the pool and decided it was unacceptable that I was sitting out so with somewhat of a struggle I was thrown in the pool t-shirt and all. Realistically I should have just gone in but I was totally dry. ha.

It took some time to dry off and we parted ways. A lot of the students were having last night dinners with their homestay families, or were going to spend some of their last night with their families. I headed home to shower and pack. It didn't take long to put almost everything into my suitcase but I have no idea if weight will be an issue, I also bought some painted dishes that I hope do not break on the road home.

Because tonight is the very last night we are all here we are all going out for drinks later this evening and some of us are meeting up a little earlier. I'm updating early because although I fully intend to be in bed shortly after I do a midnight-birthday-shot I know that in Mexico things don't always go according to plan and I need to be able to go to bed as soon as I get home. The bus leaves at 7am to start the long day of travel back to Calgary. I don't get in until 9:30ish. I wish it was earlier so I could play soccer but sadly I'll have to wait until July to play with my team.

Next time I talk to you I should be back on Canadian soil.

Goodbye Alcoholic Summer Camp, it's been great.

Today's High: 37℃

Today I learned:
  • This trip went by way way too quickly. Obvs.
I am grateful for:
  • Bringing a second suitcase as a carry on that will now be checked.

2 comments:

  1. In case you're not looking, the high for your Birthday, and Happy Birthday to You, LOVE YOU, is a balmy 18C. Hold on, the high for Saturday is, yes, unbelievable, 4C. Yes, FOUR Degrees, the high.

    I don't want to scare you away but I would have second thoughts about coming to this climate also if I was down in the balm.

    Oh yea, I welcome you back with arms open wide and I'll give you a big warm hug.

    And thanks for a journey through your Blog. It was interesting, funny, sad and informative. Sad that you got stung and have to come back before you can speak the language. I hope it never leaves your thoughts.

    I'm looking forward to the next adventure. Are you allowed to Blog in English while you're there. Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you have to travel on your birthday, but hope you have a safe flight my dear.

    Lots of love, always!

    ReplyDelete