Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Home Again, Home Again, Jigity Jig?

Sad. Face. :(

Tomorrow is my last day here. There are a couple of girls staying until the 31st and I wish beyond wish I could stay, but I leave for Moncton on the 30th. I could technically leave on the 28th but that would be ridiculous because I would literally get one day at home to do all my laundry, repack, and leave the next am to go away for another 5 weeks. The thing is, had I just been gone for 8 weeks altogether it wouldn't seem like such a stretch. I just love the weather, and this place, and I feel like I would like a day or two to relax in the warmth of a beach before heading back.

Today we had to do presentations, but unlike all previous presentations these ones had an audience. We had to arrive at the University of Colima School of Tourism campus by 10am. I met a few girls at Starbucks to catch a cab. Our presentations were done in front of our group as well as about 40 English speaking Mexican students as well as a number of staff.

It went well. We went alphabetically so I was last. By the time it got to be my presentation we had run long and I was asked to keep it quick; most of the Mexican students had already left because they had other classes to attend. Overall I would say it was a success. Nothing too shocking happened. Although, after one girl presented her findings about the patriarchy society and gender roles in Mexico our prof turned the floor over to the students and asked why men work and women stay at home. I was beyond shocked when one young man put up his hand and said that was the say it was supposed to be, the men make the money and the women take care of the home. I have to say that I have never, in my life, heard anyone legitimately say this. It was shocking that this mentality still stands. I wanted to ask him why he thought this was but time was short and I didn't want to cause any problems.

After the presentations I was the only one fully done my report. This was good news for me in some ways, except that I had no one to hang out with because everyone was editing or writing. I went over to some of the girls' house to sit quietly while they worked. After which we were headed to the mall. It took a while but we made our way to the mall eventually.

We were hungry and decided to go to Applebee's. This may seem odd because we are running out of time to eat 'real' Mexican food, but I really just wanted some vegetables (which are surprisingly difficult to come by. We all ordered the same thing, and it was amazing, a real salad, and real dressing. I couldn't have been happier.

We walked around the mall, which was nice but since I've become a poor student I've found shopping to be much more depressing than rewarding. When I was younger shopping was the best and it made me happy, now it just makes me feel guilty. The good thing about Mexico is it takes very little money to live well, however their nice clothes are very comparable in price so it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money.

Have I mentioned that Mexico is shoe heaven? I feel like I've traveled a few places and loved a lot of shoes, and maybe it is just the trends lately but their shoes are to die for and all relatively cheap. I'm talking ridiculous platform heels with inches and inches of heels. My love. I found one pair of stacked heels, platforms, black leather, with white faux snake detailing, amazing. I held back buying a pair as I had already bought one pair and my suitcase is steadily increasing in size and weight.

After that point I was pretty much done in the mall. Once I decide not to buy things it isn't much fun to shop around. In Mexico I feel like you need to do the tourist shopping that involves bartering and walking away happy with a good deal, not buying a $60CAN dress. Although the mall proved fruitful because I got a chance to try a churro. Yes we have churros in Canada. But in Canada they don't fill them with your choice of delicious sauces. I had mine filled with chocolate sauce and it was awesome.

We left the mall and went to WalMart to pick up a few things then went home to drop our stuff off (and our paper's that we had printed earlier in the day). It wasn't long before a group of us were headed downtown. It was kind of our last full night because as of right now there is still some debate over what will happen tomorrow night (our last official night). We have to be at the bus on Wednesday early in the morning, and although everyone wants to celebrate my birthday starting at midnight on Wednesday and stay up all night I feel like flying while exhausted and perhaps still buzzing will be a bad choice.

We went downtown to meet a group who was supposed to be getting tattoos and piercings. Unfortunately the tattoo artist had double booked them and sent them away. We did a little shopping and sat down for some drinks beside the town square. Not everyone was in attendance because there were still a few people finishing up their reports. We lasted there quite a long time, we drank the bar out of Corona (which we had accomplished at another bar), and Victoria so we had to switch to Indio. It is funny that Mexican bars don't seem to keep many beers around, that or Canadians drinking 70+ beers a night makes it hard for any establishment. A group of us ordered a pizza, it was great.

Later on in the night more people were hungry so we headed to a different bar to get some food. It was good but not really necessary. Now I'm home and off to bed. Tomorrow our reports are due, we have a small class goodbye and then everyone is heading over to the pool for a final party during the day. I don't know what will happen with the rest of the day but I'm sad that it is all over.

As a bug bite update; it grew to about 2.5 inches in diameter today and was nice and swollen. I took benedryl, rubbed weird green ointment on it and hoped it would go away. The swelling has gone down but the central sting area is quite substantial and hard. I also have a new sting/bite on the back of my thigh. They hurt but I think they are going away, at least I hope so.

Today's High: 37℃ and overcast "No sol"

Today I learned:
  • I might understand more Spanish than I think I do, although I can definitely not speak it yet
  • Shopping malls in Mexico look exactly the same as shopping malls in Canada
  • That I don't just kind of want to stay, I really want to stay. Looked at changing my flight, but 3 days isn't much longer
I am grateful for:
  • This wonderful experience
  • Houses where bugs aren't the norm
  • The great exchange rate of pesos to dollars

1 comment:

  1. I have been in this same sort of place about extending a flight...its a hard decision, but I guess you have to think about those brief days when you get back home, what you need to do, and who you need to see.

    However, the past 5 weeks sound amazing...Enjoy you last day there :) (And have your sweater ready for Canada, and maybe some churros shoved in there with some new shoes!?)

    ReplyDelete