Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A life of leisure, that's the life for me

After a late last night (bed around 2am) and waking up around 6:30am (unintentionally) I was exhausted in class today. Our first official classroom day started at 9:30am.

Before class I did the usual getting ready to go to school things, but in Mexico there are a few variations, or at least in a homestay. I went downstairs around 8:30 to find something for breakfast as I had not informed my homestay mother that I would off to school early today. But there she was making 'hot cakes' or pancakes, flapjacks for us Canadian folk. What a deal! She was up and eager to make me breakfast. Meals are such a communal experience here.

I was off early to meet a couple other girls for the walk to school, a series of us were waiting on the main road to be picked up by those living farther away. As it should happen the group walking to get me was about 10-15 minutes late. Not that this was an issue because we'd allowed a lot of time for the walk but it was another 'stare at the white girl' moment for me. It was a very long 15 minutes.

We got to school, did some school related work, it lasted until almost 12:30. From there one of the Mexican UofColima coordinators took us to movistar (I include the name only because I find it funny) to buy cell phones, it was a long process with 15 people waiting eagerly for a mode of communication that would hopefully make everything we do easier but no complaints from me because it was air conditioned.

Walking outside of the shop around 1:30 was a total shock, BAM! HEAT. In your face heat, the kind of heat that had me running for the shade. We had initially desired to head to WalMart to purchase some snack food and other comforts but we were hungry and it was hot. Lunch was necessary.

A late lunch of Spaghetti and I was off to siesta! I do love a good afternoon nap.

Upon waking up I was forced to start working on a presentation I have to give tomorrow, it introduces my topic of interest, some theories I intend to use, what I expect to find out of it. I am planning to research the function of Catholicism in Mexican culture. Although not my first choice of topic I think it will fair well for me.

I won't lie, I did a hasty job, I'm about to go clean it up and make it just right for tomorrow morning but I wanted to get downtown where a few girls on my trip were headed to explore. Because I live on my own and away from everything except the University I was a little nervous to venture by myself in a city where no one speaks my language. Upon reflecting I realized that of all the traveling I've done I have never, not once, been alone in a city unknown to me that also doesn't speak my own language. Sure I went shopping in London alone but that is hardly an adventure. I headed out with an address written down on a piece of paper to hand to the taxi driver because surely I don't know enough Spanish to even tell a taxi driver directions.

It was a great evening. Colima is beautiful. Many wonderful parks, cathedrals, and all so central. We walked around long enough to find somewhere to sit and order a beer and some nachos. Not long after it was time for me to head home. I still need to clean up my presentation, write a day or two down in my journal, and get a good nights rest.

Buonas noches.

Today's High: 33℃ and sunny (notice a trend?)

Today I learned:
  • Sometimes to get the grade you must do something easier instead of something interesting, not always, but sometimes
  • Working hard and having a limited social life can get you excellent results! Unrelated to my travel I got my final grades back. Another 3.7 semester, which should put me at an overall 3.7 for the year and on the Dean's List!!
I am grateful for:
  • Cell phones
  • Air Conditioning
  • Basements in the summer time at home that get cold enough that you need a blanket, even when it is 40℃
  • Facebook messages from friends from home

2 comments:

  1. Understanding the minorities better eh! I do believe you went shopping alone in Paris also although they do know some English if they wish to speak it.
    Good on your grades.
    Don't complain about the heat to us who have had -1C ALL DAY, WITH SNOW!!! and no change in sight.
    Ok, a little warmer and not so much snow but still.
    LOVE your posts, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the good grades!

    They have walmart there?

    This sounds like an awesome learning experience thus far!

    ReplyDelete