Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Simple Days

Are you a Mexi-can or a Mexi-can’t?

I really love it here. Even though I spent almost the whole day freezing inside Starbucks, I really do love it here. I think that this love blooms from many different things but I think I especially love it here because the people I am here with are so wonderful. I have about one week left until I (sadly) return home and head off to another adventure but I feel like I just want to stay and hang out with these wonderful people longer.

Today we had an assignment due at noon, which meant that I was up early to finish it. Unfortunately the internet in my house was (and unfortunately is still) out. Because I was unable to finish up my work at home I headed to Starbucks.

At noon the assignment was handed in, and by 1:30pm I was sitting having lunch with some lovely ladies at a local restaurant. From there we walked straight to Starbucks. Starbucks has become our library because working in the heat is nearly impossible it is one of the only locations that has air conditioning and free wifi. Although it isn’t really free because I feel guilty and get hungry so I end up buying lots of things to eat and drink. This wouldn’t be a problem if the prices were Mexican prices (aka: ridiculously cheap) but they aren’t, the prices are comparable to home making it one of the most expensive places to hang out.

The other thing about Starbucks is the A/C, it is so cold that I have to pack a sweater, a fleecy sweater in order to survive. Today I forgot mine and I froze, I had to keep leaving to go outside and warm up before trying to continue. Finally, these expensive delicious food and drinks I inhale while there are fatty fatty to the max so when I return home with my Mexican beer gut most of it can be attributed to Starbucks sandwiches filled with melted cheese, luxurious muffins, and tea lattes.

I would like to say I got a lot done but I’m only willing to say I got a reasonable amount done. Either way I’ll be spending most of the day tomorrow with my nose in my books.

At 7pm most of our group left. We were having a birthday party for the May birthdays of the Colima trip, but mostly we were having a birthday party for one of the girl’s whose birthday is actually the 18th. It was a nice chill evening, the restaurant overlooked the main square downtown and was equipped with a juke box so we had some wonderful tunes the whole night.

Because it was a May-birthday’s birthday party I was purchased a shot, not something I really wanted but hey it’s Mexico and tequila is entertaining. Sadly this was a shot of vodka for reasons unknown to me, I did it but it was gross. Thanks team, I’ll get you back one day.

Tomorrow is a “free” day, meaning we have no planned activities and it should be used for homework and papers. There is also an amazing pool party supposed to be happening somewhere out of town that I’ve said I would attend but being the nerd I am I really would like to get a whole lot of school work done tomorrow. Hopefully I can do both and feel good about it, and hopefully my internet returns. Until then I’ll be in Starbucks, spending lots of money and getting fat.

Today’s High: 36℃

Today I learned:
  • Sleeping more than 4 hours at a time makes you feel amazing
  • Sometimes Starbucks can be too cold, and very distracting
I am grateful for:
  • Beds to sleep in

3 comments:

  1. Oh Starbucks.
    Too bad they dont make Starbucks unique to each country its in, with some local dishes and local prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great thing about Starbucks here is that they have amazing sandwiches that they heat up for you with melted cheese, which I think is rather Mexican of them.

    Another wonderful thing is that while giving directions we were always confused about why taxi drivers didn't know where it was. But if you say "Starbooks" they know exactly what you are talking about. Funny but wonderful local things you learn.

    ReplyDelete