Friday, May 28, 2010

Once Upon a Time In Mexico

*This post and my trip to Mexico has/d nothing to do with Johnny Depp, eyeless or not.

The last few days have consisted of me sleeping and watching back episodes of shows I missed. Thus far I have caught up on Glee, Grey's Anatomy, and House. The rest will come slowly. I had intended to go to Calgary today, run some errands, and meet up with a wide variety of friends for some drinks to celebrate my birthday but I got lazy and was more tired than I expected and so I called it off. Sorry friends but sleeping on my couch trumped you. Sad but true.

Because I haven't really been up to a lot, or anything for that matter I figured I would tell you a few things I left out about my trip.

First, I haven't yet told you about the evening of the 25th. I told you we were going out early to celebrate our last night and my birthday. What actually happened was a wonderful surprise. As I've told you before there was one particular homestay Mom who took special interest in making sure I was comfortable and never lonely. This lovely lady has to have one of the biggest hearts around. Every time I saw her she insisted that I spend more time at her house with the students she was housing (this was an easy request to fulfill because the girls staying at her house were top notch). The last night came around and she (a chef) was cooking a wonderful meal for her students and two other students who were staying with her parents for the trip.

I on the other hand was packing my things and heading out for drinks. That is until she found out that the next night was my birthday. I got a phone call from one of the girls informing me that I just had to come over for dinner, the mom wouldn't have it any other way. I had heard great things about the delicious meals so I was eager to head over. I walked over, it only takes about 5 minutes to get there. Once I arrived I was informed that I wasn't allowed into the house - I had to go for a walk. ha. Very sneaky.

Once I got into the house I was greeted with hugs and happy birthdays. Dinner was amazing. Part way through the son arrived with a beautiful cake and balloons, oh and did I mention the mom had invited other friends over to celebrate my birthday. It was amazing. I wasn't expecting a full out party.

After dinner we were exhausted but we had said that we would go out for goodbye drinks so we made our way down to 1800 a lounge that we'd been to a few times. As it turns out quite a few people had bailed out of exhaustion and the looming day of traveling ahead. I stayed until about 12:30. Long enough for me to do a shot on my birthday and say goodbye. It was an adorable evening.

Today I learned:
  • Sometimes it is necessary to drink a cup of coffee to trick your body that it is necessary to stay awake
  • I don't really want to re-pack anything
I am grateful for:
  • Multiple couches
  • TV episodes on the internet

For these pictures I thought I'd include a few things that are different in Mexico:

Nails like this are all the rage in Mexico. As far as I can tell the bigger, brighter, and more bedazzled, the better!

I ordered fruit and yogurt with granola. I received this soupy bowl. It was tasty but somewhat disconcerting because in Canada if yogurt is runny it hasn't been kept cold. Here all the yogurt seems to be runny.

Look at the size of their pieces of gum! Outstanding. I think you still get the same amount as our longer pieces, they are just thicker.

Look at the size of that key! It was huge! It was for the exterior gate to my home.

2 comments:

  1. It was great having you home for a few days!! Now on to a new adventure and wonderful stories to tell!! Tres bien!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once upon a time in Mexico was very enjoyable, can't wait for the movie.

    The next season, I've heard, will be something similar to an Ann of Green Gables adventure. An imaginative, red headed "orphan", (ok orphan is a slight stretch) young girl, placed in a Maritime setting, writing her adventures of life.

    Will there be a Diana or a Gilbert, only time will tell.

    I'm really starting to enjoy that bedtime story, of that explorer, off in distant lands, telling tales of adventure throughout cultures unknown to me.

    I do hope it continues. I know I'll enjoy it, I loved the last book.

    ReplyDelete