Sunday, May 23, 2010

So much to do, So little time

Good news is I finished my report today.
Bad news is I leave in two days.

Today was an average 'no plans' free day. I slept in a bit, had a late breakfast, edited my paper again, had a late lunch. Nothing too exciting.

I went to the pool this afternoon in an attempt to get a little colour before I leave Mexico. The sad thing is, although I've been here for 20+ days a great many of those days have been spent inside - both studying and avoiding the heat. These activities, although necessary, have not left me with a 'wow' tan. And I'd like to think that leaving Mexico after a month I would have something to show for it, besides some souvenirs and three courses. I shouldn't complain because I have some of a tan but I am pretty sure last time I was in Mexico (for a week) I got a better tan than I do now.

So the pool was great, but because it was the weekend it was a lot busier. I like pools empty, call me greedy, I just say that way I can do what I want, when I want, where I want and then I don't have to worry about anyone else. Regardless of my feelings towards many people in a pool it was great to have some time in the sun. It is also nice because it is part of a hotel, a hotel with a restaurant that serves you beer at the pool. Lovely.

I'd had enough sun and headed home to have a shower. After my shower I noticed that my bug bite I saw in the morning (about dime sized) had grown; at this point I would say it is larger than a toonie and smaller than an apricot. And it itches, and its red, and I hope they don't have to take my leg off. I also noticed another small bite...sting...? on my thigh, I hope it doesn't swell up too.

Being bored and done my paper isn't a whole lot of fun and because most people aren't done their papers and they are due in a few days not many people want to go have fun. We also have to give a presentation tomorrow morning in front of a group of Mexican tourism students from the University. I haven't really thought about it, and I haven't really planned much, but I think some people are worried about it. All these things compiled together equals me with not a whole lot to do.

In lieu of catching up on Grey's Anatomy I decided to go to Starbucks to see if anyone was studying, I also wanted to see if anyone else was going to sushi (a few people were going, I'd been invited, but I wasn't really feeling sushi tonight). Anyways, no one was at Starbucks so I decided I'd just walk over to the girls' house that lived nearby. It was lovely to have a relaxed evening chatting and although I'm sure I slowed their progress on their projects I had a great time. They fed me cake and gave me a hot lemon for my growing bug bite (one of the girls herself had a swelling bite and her homestay mom put hot lemon on it). I'm not sure what it does but it took the burning away, I can only hope it helps it go away entirely.

Then home again, home again. Hopefully I'll get to bed early. The last few mornings I've been waking up exhausted, I think slowing my pace down has made my lack of sleep catch up to me. My body is crying for more sleep. I'm going to try and make it wait until the 27th to sleep all day because I feel like there is a whole lot of 'goodbye' partying to be done in the next few days, in addition to some shopping, eating, pooling. You know how it goes.

Today's High: 37℃

Today I learned:
  • A couple girls are extending their stays here, and I am beyond jealous. Do you think Moncton could wait a few days?
  • Pools are great but beaches are better
I am grateful for:
  • "Regular" breakfast food - I'm ready for my breakfasts to be cereal, toast, beagles, peanut butter and jam, orange juice.
  • Food variety
  • The amount of veggies I get to eat at home

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the positive notes coming from this trip. I do hope you don't abort the plans and just stay there. Twood be absolutely great to see you when you get back, if you're not catching up on your sleep the whole time.

    Been gone for over a week so I've been able to read your posts but my "berry" is lacking in ability to comment. Need an app for that.

    Moncton's forecast high for tomorrow = 19C. That might shock the system. Bout the same all week. Actually same kinda forecast for here also. Put your sweater on. But hey, the pool is open next door and kids are running around in just their suits. No doubt you will need a jacket for a while.

    After that shock, do enjoy your last couple of days in the warm. Soon you are heading to the True North, Strong and Free(zing).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Don't remind me. I don't think I've worn a sweater since I've been here (besides inside Starbucks where they crank the AC). I spend my days and nights in shorts and tank tops. It doesn't even get lower than 20℃, and I'm used to it, 10 is going to feel like freezing. Frío!!

    My homestay Mom keeps asking me if it is frío in Canada, I keep telling her otherwise, at least this time of year but I think I've been lying to myself.

    ReplyDelete