Saturday, May 22, 2010

3 days left to do it all

I do not want to go away from this place.
I do not want to go away from these people.

So as I said, last night was mighty late. I'd intended to get up early to work on some school stuff so I'd have time to take a break to the pool. Although, as these things often go I ended up sleeping a lot more than I had planned for, this was probably a good thing.

I didn't really get going until around 11am and at that time I was pretty tired so I procrastinated as much as possible before editing my paper. I should just want to get it done so badly that I do a great job at editing the first round that I don't have to go back to it anymore. However, I often find that when deadlines are really looming and there is some free time it is hard to force yourself to work. It is also difficult because all I really want to be doing is playing in the pool or going shopping, which are both things I get to do as soon as I finish editing.

So once I got down to it I edited until about 5pm. At that time my brain wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing. It has gotten to the point where I care more about if it is done then if it is good. This is a bad point to be at because when I possibly get a grade lower than I desire I'll think to myself "had I just focused a little longer." But damn, I just can't make myself care right now. I feel like there is so much of this cute city I haven't been able to see because I've been so busy. I need at least a few more days here.

Tonight we had a "thank-you/wrap up" party in Comala, a little town about 10 minutes away from Collima. I caught a cab with a couple other girls because my homestay parents were unable to come. It was for our students, our homestay families, the organizers, and some of the university staff.

It was a great dinner at an outdoor patio that sat across from the town square. A very nice setting for it. There were tons and tons of food. Appetizers just kept coming out. But the thing about food in Mexico is that it is essentially all the same thing except presented in a different way. Meat, cheese, perhaps some refried beans, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. This is then either placed in a tortilla, on a tortilla, on a smaller crispier tortilla, in a smaller crispier tortilla. Essentially all the same food.

Our dinner was covered by the program fees so I didn't even have to pay for it.

Because a lot of us were out so late last night and those that weren't were eager to work on their projects tomorrow we all called it a night pretty quickly after dinner and headed back to Colima. I was fortunate enough to catch a ride in the back of truck with a group of students. The great thing about this place is that even sitting in the back of a truck zipping down the highway in just a tank top and shorts at 10pm you don't get cold. I love that. Although I could do without the impossible heat midday.

Today's High: 36℃

Today I learned:
  • No matter how much I try to rationalize things moths will always be scary.
I am grateful for:
  • Canadian public bathrooms that include things like: toilet seats, toilet paper, soap, paper towel (especially when it is thicker than tp), and that are generally clean
  • Being tired out at the end of the day. I always fall asleep in moments and sleep the whole night.
  • The little comforts of home.

3 comments:

  1. Riding in the back of a truck! Scandalous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is legal here as long as you sit down, or ride in a lawn chair (which many people do)

    Today I was in the front of a cab and put my seatbelt on, when my friends looked at me strange my response was "sometimes I forget I'm in Mexico" because they never wear their seat belts in cab, in fact often they aren't even there to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hah. Its funny, but we've been "trained" to do that, odd when you are in a place and its not the norm.

    ReplyDelete