Friday, May 14, 2010

Mexico is a bad influence on me, in the best possible way

My alarm woke me up today. This means I am tired.

Today wasn't an exceptionally early day, although class did start earlier than normal, 9am. Today we had a quiz/test for one of our classes, followed by half an hour of class then we were off to do what we wanted for the day.

This was nice because it is getting to the point in this program when things like writing papers, and doing participant observation takes precedent over anything else. After class - 10am - I headed downtown to do another set of observations at a number of Catholic Cathedrals/Churches. This occupied about 2.5 hours of my day.

The main mode of transportation here is to take a cab as they are so cheap. Unfortunately they are often hard to come by and the language barrier is often difficult to overcome. It had not really been a problem for me as most listen to the little directions I can give, names of streets, my address, and focal points seem to help. Because Colima is an older kind of town there are may windy back ways to get where ever you are going, they all look different while looking exactly the same.

I told my homestay mom I would be home for lunch today (at 2pm). Around 1:30 I jumped in a cab, showed him my address, did the usual description, between starbucks and the universidad, on Rio drive. But he went some crazy back way. After continuously insisting that houses that I do not live in were mine he became frustrated. Understandable as I am demanding to go places in English. He stopped, turned around, asked people on the street. Eventually he simply stopped the car, insisted that I leave and pointed in the direction of my home. Luckily he wasn't that far off and I made it home in time for lunch.

I love Mexican rice, which is saying a lot because I don't like rice. I especially like that they cut up fresh avocado onto the rice. It is so delicious!

After lunch I headed to Starbucks to do some homework. It is one of the only places I have found in this town that is both air conditioned (cold enough to need a sweater), with wifi, and outlets. It doesn't hurt that there are food and beverages.

I stayed from about 3pm -6pm although I feel like I accomplished so little. We have a theory presentation due on Tuesday and this weekend we are headed to Manzanillo - which will likely involve beaches, bars, and shopping. I am hoping to write as much of this presentation as I can before we leave.

Before leaving Starbucks a Korean student and a Coliman man (who is often in Starbucks working) started talking to me, asking me questions, and more specifically wondering why I didn't speak Spanish. It was kind of odd because although they were both so nice and friendly I felt like they were judging me for not knowing Spanish.

I left, went home, dropped off my bags and went back downtown to do more observations of a church service before meeting up with some fellow students at a local bar. I stopped in a department-esque store to buy a purse because seemingly I didn't think I would need one. It was on sale (yes!) and although it was still somewhat expensive I really love it.

After leaving the Church service I found my friend at the bar with beers in hand. I ordered myself a beer and a burger and the night began. It was lots of fun sitting around and chatting. Most people were able to make it out. As the clock struck 12 we sang 'Happy Birthday' to one of the girl's on the trip and she was given a tequila shot.

A couple of the Mexican students who had showed us around came by to hang out with us. They ordered a drink, or more of a shot - whose name evades me - for a couple of the girls. In no time we had all done one. I was told it was tequila and coffee but it tasted like Kahlua to me. Anyways, the bar tender took his time warming it up with a lighter until it was on fire, at which point you sucked it up through a straw. It was good but I was pretty sure my face was catching on fire the entire time.

The bar closed and we moved to a different establishment, which also closed after we had one drink. We were out on the street early in the Mexican morning and the weather was amazing, in nothing but a dress you would never be cold. If only Canada boasted the same wonderful weather more days of the year.

I caught a cab home with another girl and now it is clearly time for bed as I not only have an early morning ahead of me, I have lots of paper writing to do in the afternoon and I'll need my strength.

Today's High: 35℃

Today I learned:
  • Tequila in Mexico is much better than tequila at home, I like it here
I am grateful for:
  • Wonderful new friends
  • Feminist conversations

4 comments:

  1. I love your "I love Mexican rice" paragraph. It seems totally out in left field from the previous paragraph, and totally comes out of nowhere!

    hah!!

    I am confused regarding the time change...How many hours difference are we now?Are you at Toronto time (only 5 hours difference from me)? Why are you up so early? When you wrote this post did you write it about yesterday and not today? The dates confuse me....

    Why am I so confused? Maybe I didnt get enough sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'll be honest I was a little concerned about writing this but I have been told a couple times that people get upset when I don't post as speedily as possible.

    I posted this at about 3:30am after getting home from a night in a few bars. I was concerned for a few reasons, most of all the clarity and flow of it, which clearly was somewhat all over the place, but I do love that rice.

    And I believe it is central time, or one hour ahead of MST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has gone on too long; what does you blog title mean? sorry, i don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is Latin for Live Boldly - or at least I hope it is. The translation seemed a bit fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete