Monday, May 31, 2010

Torn Up.

It's been a few days, but I've been busy!

Friday was a laundry day. Saturday was a packing day. I packed up two suitcases this time because while in Mexico I decided I didn't have enough clothes, I also decided that the weather in New Brunswick is a whole lot more variant than in Mexico. I packed summer clothes, spring clothes, and even some stuff a little warmer. Saturday afternoon Mom and I headed to Calgary so I could do some last minute shopping and meet my brothers for dinner Saturday night. It was a busy day. That evening we ended up going for Chinese food, it was great. We stayed over at the boys' house because my flight left early the next morning and they live very close to the airport.

Sunday started around 4am. My flight was to leave at 7am. All the usual airport happenings occurred, I boarded my plane to Hamilton. We ended up leaving late, very late, almost an hour late. This was because some ice had messed with the computers and the plane had to be de-iced. The plane ride was long, I have to admit I wasn't really feeling up to coming or in the mood for more travel. As soon as I arrived in Hamilton I boarded my next plane to Moncton - it had been held for those of us switching flights.

I arrived in Moncton, found a girl who was also headed to the program and we took a cab to the University. We arrived at the university around 5:30pm local time. We were given instructions about residence and sent on our merry way. There were about 7 of us that arrived on the flight from Hamilton, most from Alberta, one from BC, and one from Hamilton.

The residences are, well, not as nice as the home I stayed in Mexico. We were told we would be in two bedroom apartments, sharing with a roommate. This was fine by me. But it appears that the females of legal age (19+) were put in residence on the edge of campus, there are two bedrooms and two beds per room. What I am most choked about is that we do not have internet access in our homes, nor do we have tvs. The tv isn't really an issue for me, but I hate being without internet. Well I don't mind being without internet in a situation where it seems appropriate, on holiday, camping, etc. But living on a university campus away from home demands internet. I guess I am also choked because the boys and the underage-ers live in what have been explained as very nice, spacious two bedroom apartments that they share with only one other person, with internet, beside the cafeteria, right on campus. I'm a personal space kinda gal and although I don't mind spending time with people all the time I cherish having a room of my own to hide in once and a while. But I'll just have to make the best of it.

I met my roommates and they all seem really nice. Last night I walked to Shoppers Drug Mart to pick up some things I didn't want to lug across the country. When I got home my roommates were just going to watch a movie before they went to bed. I was exhausted but because I didn't want to go to bed too early and end up waking up in the middle of the night I waited until about 10:30.

Classes start early here. 8am every weekday morning. This means waking up around 6am, which with the Alberta time differential felt like the middle of the night. Well it didn't feel too early until I was sitting in class. We had breakfast, it was good. As far as I can tell the cafeteria food won't be too bad and there seems to be options enough to satisfy.

Today we had a placement exam to see what group we should be in. It is my understanding that there are 5 levels with 1 being the beginners. Although I think it would be easier for those who actually don't know any French to just say so and be put in the beginners I think the test weeds those who actually don't know any French (me) out from those who claim they don't know any French (there are many). It took about two hours and ended with an interview portion. There was oral comprehension, written comprehension, grammar, etc. The exam was multiple choice with about 80 questions. I am certain I failed, but that is a good thing. The interview was not hard for me. Most people went in, sat down, and had to answer a set of questions, I hear the last 6 were especially difficult. Knowing no French made this simple. I walked in, said "I don't speak any French" he asked if I would understand anything he would ask me, I said no and I was out the door. Tomorrow I start in the beginners group.

This afternoon we have a meeting, I've been told it is our last opportunity to speak English. This seems a great deal more likely for the students who are already speaking some French around here. Not that I'm not interested in the whole immersion thing I just find it impossible. I guess I won't be speaking much in class. It is also interesting because everything that I think of in non-English is coming out Spanish. Numbers, greetings, etc. is all Spanish in my head right now.

Hopefully this meeting will provide some information about what is going on, how to get around, etc. because I feel like I have no idea about anything. I'm also having a hard time giving it my all. I just want to sleep in my comfy bed with my blankets and here I have one thin, grey blanket.

Because I have no internet at home I will not be able to guarantee updates regularly, or as I like to do them on a daily basis, or at least covering a day in one post. For now I'll do the best I can and hopefully I can find a time that works best.

Today it is kind of cloudy with a cold wind.

Today I learned:
  • Many many names of new people
  • The gravity of my desire for a private room, I just like it ok.
I am grateful for:
  • Home
  • Warm socks
  • 5% gst - do you believe they have a 13% hst here!?

3 comments:

  1. WOW, that's going to be some kinda experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well girlie ... I'm certain you're up for the challenge!! Take it all in and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the East Coast! As for Internet, look into Internet cards. I think you can get them from Shoppers etc. I've used them before for work travel when we have no Internet and they seem great. You connect to a random service provider.

    If you need me to send you movies, just say the word!

    ReplyDelete