Wednesday, May 19, 2010

In Mexico Eating Japanese with Canadians. Perfect.

It’s the little things, ya, the little things.

I’d love to tell you about another exciting day here in Colima but unfortunately it is getting to the time in the trip where everyone is working, and working hard.

As previously mentioned today was our free day, free from planned activities that is. I slept in, which was amazing, had an easy morning, except that I was exhausted. Eating breakfast may have been the most difficult task of my day. You know when a little kid falls asleep in their spaghetti, that was practically me, except I was eating an enormous toasted ham sandwich with melted cheese, tomato, and lettuce.

After breakfast I got down to work on some of my papers. We have three small papers that culminate to make one large report. Because the internet was out this morning proved to be extra productive. Well more productive than other times I’ve tried to work because there was literally nothing to distract me, minus a few games on my iphone.

At 11:00 I decided I’d had too much, was too tired, and took a nap. I love morning naps, there is something about the fact that you were up early enough that you need a nap and you wake up early enough that you still have the whole day that I just love.

More homework, then lunch. After lunch – cheesy pasta, salad, and fried fish cakes (so delicious) – I went to Starbucks because I still need to do some research for my papers on the internet. I was there around 3pm when I found out that lots of people from the group were at a local pool. Initially I was choked that I wasn’t partaking in the sun but after doing some research I knew I’d feel better if I just hung it out.

I was in Starbucks until about 7pm, which is substantial. From there a few girls who still need to do some observations for their report were headed to a local park. It was amazing! The atmosphere was wonderful, there were huge climbing walls for kids, wonderful jungle gyms, families were out playing together. It was a really fun place to be.

A few of us had talked about doing some late sushi to take a break from the studying so we got the name of a supposedly great sushi place and headed over. There were five of us on the way and there was supposed to be a few more coming along.

It was a really great restaurant, and the sushi was delicious. It was still very Mexican though – in the little bowls for soya sauce they had included some green onions and spices, and on the table was lime.

We ordered a ton – which seems to always happen with sushi. Edamame, Sashimi, a miso soup, a bottle of wine, and 7 plates with 11 roles each. A ton of food. The bill came to just over $800 pesos. We paid 200 each totaling 1000 – or about $16 CAN each! AMAZING! And it was really delicious.

I should mention that the other students ended up not coming, and we had a table for ten in the middle of the restaurant with lots and lots of food. It was also funny because the waiters watched us all night long. We made some friends.

It was a great relaxing evening with some wonderful friends. Have I mentioned I don’t want to leave?!

Home and to bed as we have another full day field trip tomorrow and an important assignment due on Friday in addition to working on papers. Everyone is getting into homework mode and is sad about it. I’ve spent more time in the last two days in a hoodie in Starbucks because the AC is too cold than actually in the sun. Mexico + School is not optimal.

Today’s High: 36℃

Today I learned:

  • That I am officially accepted to the University of Groningen for the winter semester of 2011, hello Holland!
  • Sushi felt like home, which when you think about it, is very odd

I am grateful for:

  • Lovely ladies
  • The Internet – when you don’t have it you notice how much you rely on it

2 comments:

  1. I am sad that you have to leave this place so soon...Sounds like its been an amazing experience.

    Can I also tell you again how EXCITED I AM that you are going to be on MY side of the WORLD in January. SO fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even believe it! It will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete