Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Nerd at ♥

There is just something lovely about never needing a jacket.

Today started earlier than others, well not really waking-up wise, but class started earlier and because I had been neglectful on the first day of class I didn't really know how long it would take me to walk to school (15 minutes for anyone wondering). I did the usual, showered, slathered on the lotion, followed quickly by a thick layer of spf30 which in turn makes me feel sticky all day. I hate sunscreen, I always have, except in Canada I can usually get away with only minor burns so I don't mind not putting it on. Mexico is another story, a story I don't want to mess with.

Today we were responsible for presenting our concepts with a bit of theory, I'd say it all went over quite well although it took quite a long time. Tomorrow we have another presentation, this time it is about our method of participant observation, where will you go to observe these things, what problems do you foresee, etc. I think I've got a rock solid bit typed up, I just hope it isn't too long.

After class we had our pictures taken for id cards and headed over the the students union building for lunch. While there I met the homestay mom of a couple of the other girls, she had found out I was staying alone and welcomed me into her home any time! It is so nice to know that if I ever do get lonely or bored I can just head over there and I will be welcomed with open arms.

We were looking for somewhere to do some work on our projects, somewhere nice so the homestay mom said she would drive us down the the town centre where they have wifi desks. Essentially in these very beautiful parks they have green benches and desks with plug ins and free wifi. So we piled into her car (because in Mexico seatbelts are optional) and headed down town. Sadly upon arriving we discovered that in order to long onto the internet you need to be able to access your email, which (of course) uses the internet. It wasn't long before we were in a taxi headed home. Luckily enough these wonderful girls were not sick of me yet and invited me to come study at their house, we were there for quite a few hours although I assure you very little studying was actually accomplished. Instead we chatted, especially with the daughter of the home who had just arrived back and was near our age. She is interested in traveling to Canada (as many Mexican seem to be) to study, we told her horror stories about snow storms, ice on cars as any good Canadian would do. We also informed her of the wonder that is Tim Hortons, which she initially confused with Tim Burton - which was very cute.

Once we actually did some homework we decided to venture to WalMart, because what is a trip to Mexico without a trip to a WalMart Supercentre?! Really we just wanted to buy some snacks to take to class, a bottle of water, you know, the little things. This was a huge success. We made a pit stop at the only Starbucks in town for some cool drinks and a sandwich. Upon reflection it seems I had a very Canadian day today.

A number of people were headed out again tonight and although I would have loved to go out again my nerd side kicked in. There were some things I needed to do at home, I wanted to get to WalMart, finish my assignment for tomorrow, update my journal. The little things that I feel behind on. So here I am, ready for a good nights rest. Worry not friends as I promise to be a social butterfly tomorrow when there is a little less pressing school work to be done.

Tomorrow there is talk of a swimming pool! I do love a swimming pool :)

Today's High: 36℃

Today I learned:
  • I could never live in Mexico, I was not meant for hot climates. I get headaches from the sun, sun burns, claustrophobic from hot and humid weather, sun rashes, nausaus and I'm already done with the heat. I'd prefer a range of 25-30 because not being able to sit in the shade is killing me. I actually can't stand in the sun because my poor skin fries.
"It's just too hot"-T
"In the sun?"-L
"In this country"-T
I am grateful for:
  • The hospitality of Mexican families
  • Air conditioning in Starbucks
  • Pepto Bismol aka my life line
  • Advil liquid gels

My walk to school in the morning ☼
Walking around downtown Colima

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear about all your friends and your dedication to the job at hand and having fun all at the same time. Oh, and I've never known a Stauth or anyone related to them who was a nerd, so be careful with that one, it just doesn't fit you.
    About the heat, well, good luck with that one. Or as we say "Buck it up princess". You know I love you, right.
    Isn't that what the siesta is for, to avoid some of that heat.
    Keep having fun and I love the pics in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't figured out by now that I'm a nerd you must not know me. ha. Besides I've heard wonderful things about some studious aunts of mine. Perhaps you were the exception to the rule.

    ReplyDelete