Sunday, May 2, 2010

Moments to Appreciate

Two posts in one day, this is unprecedented. And hopefully it won't happen again any time soon. I don't want to overwhelm my fans. ha.

This afternoon I was invited to go out to my homestay Mother's brother's "ranch." Pretty much I was meeting my Mexican extended family. I use quotations around the word ranch because I don't really know what one could ranch on this piece of land they had. Saying that I don't want you to think it wasn't awesome, because it was.

As it turns out this "ranch" has two houses on it, one for both of her brothers and their respective families. I was welcomed wholly with a handshake and a kiss on the cheek, customary here. I then sat in a jungle like oasis for about 3 hours listening to a Spanish family, not much unlike mine, chat, laugh, barbeque, and attempt to ask me as many English questions as they could.

Underneath an umbrella tree I sat watching the men bbq meat and drink beer, it was somewhat surreal because I was always entertained even if I couldn't understand a single word. They even played me a song or two in English on the stereo, most notably perhaps because it was the first to play was "Come Mr. Tally Man." Upon its starting they all got very excited for me. All in all it was a great success even though it left my stomach rolling.

Sitting there I really took in how great of an opportunity this is, yes you can travel, you can even go to remote places where they don't speak English, but it is rare to be welcomed into someone else's family, and really see the life of another country, and it doesn't hurt that they said I had pretty eyes and was beautiful. But I'm pretty sure my pale skin was simply blinding them and they had to say something.

I've been invited back for a party on the 22nd and I've been told I cannot forget.

Four Mexican men grilling at the bbq drinking beer, pretty much home, just much warmer and much less English speaking.

My host "mother" and I.

Current Weather Conditions: 21℃ and clear

Today I learned:
  • Stop signs in Mexico are more of a suggestion, it is only appropriate to stop when someone else is coming
  • Mexican children are very very cute
Today I am thankful for:
  • The internet for keeping me connected to home
  • "Basic Spanish for Dummies" iPhone app
  • Friendly Mexicans that keep trying to talk to me with the little to no English they have

6 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you again and so nice to see photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you still use your phone down there? I mean, don't you have to worry about terrifying roaming costs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have essentially disabled the phone and data properties of the phone, so basically I have an iPod touch right now. But depending on your carrier you can pay a little extra to get it covered. Unfortunately Telus' deals are no deals at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do have pretty eyes and you are beautiful. Looks like you've got it pretty good. Hope you are keeping a diary. Oh, and we have another winter storm warning tonight. I like your scenery better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blog so far and I am only on day 2.
    I am enjoying the "today I learned" and "thankful for" bits. I only hope for the posts that come after day 2, this continues.

    i can see your blinding white skin from here, do you have a tan yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is starting to come through. I was falsely informed that I would try if I was not wearing 60spf. Reducing the spf has helped increase the tan!

    ReplyDelete