Monday, May 10, 2010

Mexico: 1, Teira: 0

Today started like any other day in Mexico and ended like any other day in Mexico. But the middle part of this Mexico day took me for a ride.

Today is Mexican Mother's Day, they celebrate on the 10th of May, not the 2nd weekend in May as is conventional in Canada. We had class today but because Mother's Day is a holiday here the school was closed. We were to meet at a hotel just down the street from the University that the prof is staying at, the same hotel with the pool.

Prior to venturing out on my way I gifted a few Canadiana gifts the way of my homestay mom, just some simple maple syrup, maple chocolates, and a card by a Cochrane artist. It went over swimmingly and she was very excited to receive the gift.

Upon arriving at the hotel lobby all was well except I couldn't stop sweating, which isn't that unusual here. At least the lobby had air conditioning, a luxury that is extremely difficult to come by. We headed to our 'classroom' which turned out to be a covered area outside. It got hot quickly and my stomach and head could not handle it. I was unable to focus, chugged a bottle of water, and cursed myself for forgetting my pepto at my homestay.

Class seemed to drag on for what was only about 2 hours. Don't throw up, don't pass out, was about all I could focus on. As it was Mother's Day a number of students were headed to the cemetery because it is tradition here to visit, clean, and adorn the graves of mothers who are no longer here on Mother's Day. Although I wanted to go I needed to head home and hopefully get out of the heat and down some pepto.

I made it home alright and laid down for a nap, because it seemed like the thing to do at 12 in the afternoon. The house was heating up and there was nothing I could do about it. Around 2pm I had lunch, a meal I wasn't sure I would be able to keep in my stomach even though it was quite delicious. Figured I'd have to try. At lunch my homestay Mom mentioned how it was too hot here even for her and there was nothing to do about it but sleep. If Mexico is too hot for the Mexican how was I, a cold climate kinda gal, supposed to survive.

After talking to my prof this afternoon about my project and how I was struggling to see what I was supposed to get out of my observations he suggested I simply need to do more observation at more locations to start to see patterns. This seemed like an appropriate response.

I waited as long as I could, tried to do some reading in the oven of a house I am staying in. Just after 4 I decided to try and head out, catch a cab on the asap, and make my way to a number of churches in time to be downtown for a service at 7pm.

Unfortunately, my weak stomach/ill feelings of the day plus the extreme heat led to my demise. I was going to go to Starbucks to try and break some of my big bills in order to have money to pay for my cab rides around the city. When I arrived a few girls from our group were studying (did I mention it has AC and wireless internet). By the time I sat down I was in tears. Boo. I hate being the girl in tears but I was flushed, so hot, and ready for my body to give up on me. A bottle of water, a cookie, and a cool tea drink made things turn around. I'm sure it was a combo of the intense heat, the sun and drinks from yesterday, and generally the food is very different here.

Upon the orders of my lovely new friends I was not to leave Starbucks until the weather cooled down. Wise words indeed. Fortunately they had extra paper and text books to spare which allowed me to cool down and get work done. Within the hour I was feeling better, and by the time we left 3 hours later I was clearly on the mend, I had my colour back and had eaten a whole sandwich. Success.

The girls I was with were the same four whose family has practically adopted me. Their families were having a Mother's Day Fiesta and I was invited. As Fiesta's go they are very friendly, and very long. Supper wasn't served until around 10pm again. It was great to have a relaxing evening. At one point we each had a Coronita in our hands (which is a very adorable, very small Corona). We enjoyed some laughs, some food, and mostly the atmosphere.

Tomorrow is very early because our bus to our volcano hike leaves at 6am. Hopefully my stomach keeps calm the rest of the trip.

Today's High: 40℃

Today I learned:
  • Not to push it, your body will give up on you leaving you a mess on the floor
  • If Mexicans think it is too hot, it is too hot.
I am grateful for:
  • Air Conditioning
  • Friendly Starbucks workers who speak even a little English
  • Pepto Bismol and Imodium Advanced. Ya, I said it.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could send you some cool temperatures!! Yikes! Hang in there!! Hope you have a better day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :(
    Hope you get better...

    I do enjoy "If Mexicans think its hot. its hot" hah. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete