Friday, May 7, 2010

Sunscreen application is my forte...ish

Did I mention it is hot here?! Ok ok, I know you know it is hot here, but damn. And no I'm not bragging, I'm not even trying to rub it in. I'm just saying I have no idea how people survive in places like this. I get that the desert gets hot but most desert cities has more air conditioners than homes. Here you just crack a window and sleep out of sheer desperation. Think about it this way, if it was 36℃, humid, and your A/C was broken you would complain, so I get to vent about it, at least a little.

As of yet I don't think that I've woken up to my alarm clock once, I wake up about 15 minutes prior and then wait for it to go off. I can assure you that this is not normal as I am most definitely all about sleeping. I think it is just one of those not totally comfortable in my surroundings situations. Additionally, I have a window that looks into the house from my room that isn't so much a window as an opening with bars and stuffed animals blocking about 40% of the opening. In this sense I am concerned that a noisy alarm would be rude to the other members of this household. Also my alarm is Here Comes The Sun, how great is that?

Today was a class day, we were supposed to be hiking a volcano today but unfortunately the bus was broken so it has been postponed until Tuesday. I was up early to get to class and out of a lack of things to do I headed in early, it was nice to not be rushed, I was also trying my best to avoid being covered in sweat by the time I arrived at the school (I mostly failed this).

Class can be summed up easily: Try to keep your eyes open, and try to focus. Don't get me wrong the information we received will help a great deal in putting together a good report at the end of our 24 days but by the looks of the faces around the classroom, sleeping would have been a better option.

Against my better judgement I skipped working on my project for an early lunch (early in Mexican terms, it actually took place around 12pm) and a dip in the pool. As most of you know I'm a lifeguard and have been for 10+ years, and when I wasn't guarding pools I was swimming in them. I'd like to think that although I rarely used sunscreen in Canada I had perfected the art of even application. Sadly, (and I am blaming this on the fact that I applied my first layer before school and my second layer while in a bathing suit) I have a wonderful splotchy burn. It isn't too bad. It is just that where I had put sunscreen in the morning I didn't put any more in the afternoon so I've got a little red on my arms in odd spots. No harm done though.

After much sun at the pool I headed home, took a wonderful cold shower, had a confusing conversation with my homestay mom about a fan, changed and waited for texts about plans for the evening. There were a number of people heading out to a disco in the evening, a number of people laying low out of exhaustion etc, and a few girls whose 'families' are related whose 'grandparents' were celebrating a wedding anniversary. I had been invited to go the the anniversary but we wanted to ensure it was okay with the family first. I did some reading, fell asleep, did my hair, the usual.

As I was about to leave to meet the other group at the disco I received a text that I was welcome to the anniversary. An added bonus to this was that I was tired and it was close, the disco involved much movement, energy, and was across town. I arrived at an adorable Mexican house with a very welcoming (large) Mexican family. Here the homestay mom who had welcomed me to her home anytime welcomed me again. Snacks and cervezas started the evening. Many family pictures were taken, I was told I had to be in all of them, they would hear of nothing else. Later (around 10pm) dinner was served and it was so very delicious! Pulled pork, with pasta, salad, and a croissant type of roll.

The Mexican families have been so welcome and so warm. I was told again that I could come over whenever I wanted, even sleep there. Even though I assured them I have a wonderful place to stay it was nice to know there was another place to go should I ever get lonely.

We decided to skip the disco because we were all ready for bed by the end of the evening. Tomorrow is one of our first free days to do whatever we want. Most people have decided that sleeping in is what they want to do, I think I'll conform on this one and get a good nights rest. Hopefully I can get a bunch of homework done too because I really need to get a start on things.

Today's High: 36℃

Today I learned:
  • Sunscreen application is no joke, ok so I clearly already knew this but it was a good refresher
  • Durkheim's definition of social facts
I am grateful for:
  • Lotion
  • Hair straighteners
  • Lounge chairs at the pool
  • This blue bean bag chair for allowing me to put my feet up before I head to bed

1 comment: