Monday, March 21, 2011

My Bookshelf

I told you about my last book after I finished it so I figured I could keep you updated in what I'm reading lately. Being on so many trains so often has granted me long stretches of time to fall into books and devour them quickly.

To recap, since I've been here I've finished:

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - coming of age story, the realities of life and love but with a dark twist, recently made into a movie; not really what you expect, short and sweet

Secret Daughter by Shipli S Gowda - story about family and seeing the blessings you have in life; really lovely, I'd recommend

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali - personal memoirs of Ayaan's struggle growing up Somali and moving around Africa to avoid war, finally running away to the Netherlands to escape an arranged marriage; controversial and thought provoking, there were descriptions of her own forced female circumcision as a child that were difficult to read and impossible to forget

And most recently, Hungry by Crystal Renn
I found this book by accident while walking through Costco and picked it up. It is a memoir of Crystal's experiences in the modeling industry. As a tween she was told she could be a model, if she lost some weight. So she starts dieting and looses tons of weight, throwing herself head first into anorexia, but she gets a modeling contract and moves to New York. The book is about her childhood, her struggle, and eventually how she decided to be happy over thin and is now the number one plus sized model in the world. You've probably seen her in magazines.


It was a simple read and pretty interesting, I liked how she tied in a great deal of research on disordered eating and the modeling industry into her story. At times I found it difficult to carry on reading with what seemed like endless descriptions of photo shoots she was on but generally the story is uplifting and she talks about being healthy and most importantly happy with the body you are given.

I'm kind of torn about this book, there were many parts that I could have cheered what she was saying while others that I questioned her logic. Definitely had me thinking about things a little differently, and that is never a bad thing. It was a good, simple read.

For right now I'm impatiently waiting for a package from Amazon.co.uk to arrive with a set of new books for me to get my teeth into.

2 comments:

  1. I have that picture of Crystal Renn (the one in the purple bikini) on my wall in my room downstairs because I saw it in Glamour Magazine and thought she was sooo beautiful! (yes, I have a picture of a woman in a bikini on my wall...). She is seriously gorgeous and one of the few models I follow. There has been a lot of controversy around her lately because she has lost weight again - but she looks healthy and great!! I haven't read her book yet though, but it is also on my amazon list..haven't read it yet because heard similar things to what you said and just haven't gotten around to it yet. I am re-reading the Ice and Fire series because the 5th book is out in July (I've been waiting 5 years!!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is stunning. I think I remember seeing that picture in the house when I lived there. I was doing a bit of reading about her after I finished the book and read the same thing, but it sounds like she simply went from a size 12 to an 8, which doesn't seem too scandalous.

    I'll lend you the book when I get back if you'd like :)

    ReplyDelete