Thursday, March 24, 2011

"Don't be fooled by the calendar. There are only as many days in the year as you make use of" - Charles Richards

I wanted to wish my BIG brother a HAPPY BIRTHDAY today! I was thinking about it and he is definitely a grown up now. He moved to a new city, got a real job, lives with his girlfriend who also has a real job. Wowzers, what an adult. Maybe that means that I'm not too far away from being a real adult too? Hope you are having a great day!


There's a department store here in town, as well as in every town I've been to in the Netherlands. It is kind of like The Bay in Canada, you know, it has nice stuff, name brand things and high quality goods. They also have a Sephora inside their store. Today they started their store wide sale and as part of their sale Sephora had their Sephora brand make-up on 3 for 10 euros, which for almost anything there is an amazing deal. I didn't really need anything but I thought I would go along with the girls who were going this morning for when the store opened.

It was pretty hectic inside. I quickly decided any make-up I purchased would simply be for the sake that it was on sale so I decided to go look at the luggage - as the sale was store-wide. I decided shortly after arriving that I would have to buy a different suitcase to take home. Well really I packed really well but both my bags were totally full. This wasn't a problem as my backpacking pack was one of those bags, but it isn't very big so it didn't fit very much stuff.

So I went and found this hardcover suitcase - they seem to be all the rage these days - and the best part was it was on sale for almost $50 off, well that wasn't really the best part, the best part was the colour selection. Ha, you can laugh now. It actually took me so long to decide between a gorgeous purple or a green. I always say green is my favorite colour but lately everything I buy is purple. I guess these things come in waves. I ended up picking the green one, I figured it was more gender neutral. ha. I'm excited about how easy it will be to find on the luggage cart at the airport. Anyways, I paid for it and as I was wheeling it out to find the girls in the makeup section I looked down and it matched perfectly to the shoes I was wearing. Ridiculous.


I had to leave to get the suitcase home before heading to class as I needed to stop to print my paper that was due today. So I biked my suitcase home, feeling really satisfied with how Dutch I'd gotten, carrying a suitcase on my bike. I made it almost the whole way home before my arm got so tired I was having so much trouble still holding on. I tried to pick it up a little more and shift it to make it easier. Then everything went awry. I don't know what happened but it got wedged in between my handlebars and my bike veered, I couldn't get it out of the handlebars, I was going down, and fast. Luckily for me I was around the only place that had grass, I veered and crashed hard into the soft muddy grass. Nothing was hurt, the suitcase came away with a few scratches and my bike handles were crooked, but I fixed it. Silly. I guess I've still got a lot to learn about being Dutch.


I went to class, then stuck around the cafeteria area to do some homework for a few hours because I had a group meeting shortly after. Nothing too eventful happened for the rest of the day, took a nap, ate some dinner, and I'm supposed to go out to a dress up party - something about fairy tales, but I've no costume and I refuse to spend my money on anything like that. Should be a pretty fun night.


2 comments:

  1. THAT is your VIEW? SO collegiately jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw poor you, you fell off your beautiful Dutch bike! Cute story though.
    Love the first pic, good times...

    ReplyDelete