Sunday, January 23, 2011

To Re-cap

This weekend I got out my butterfly wings and strapped 'em on. My Social Butterfly wings.

My brother came down from Edmonton for a visit, I'd like to think he came to see me but mostly he came to see his girlfriend and go snowboarding. This, however, worked to my advantage as I tagged along to Sunshine Village for my first and only ski trip of this winter season. Well at least my first and only CANADIAN ski trip of this winter season. We got an early start on Saturday morning in an attempt to get to the hill as early as possible - get there before the crowds and we had reservations for dinner later that evening in Calgary.

The skiing was great, they had just got a decent dump of snow and the lines weren't event that long. The great thing about Sunshine is the awesome views from the top of the hill. It seems like you just climbed into the middle of the mountains. It is gorgeous. The problem with this is that it gets pretty windy up high, which when skiing isn't the worst thing ever but the chair lifts were freezing!! And Sunshine doesn't have the longest runs so you spend a lot of time on the lifts cursing the wind. All things considered I had a great day skiing and really got into the groove by the end of the day. I was really grateful I got to go skiing before I left because it is something I rarely get to do and I love the Rocky Mountains so getting to visit one of the prides of Alberta before I depart was lovely.

We departed the hill shortly after 2pm rushed back to the city, cleaned ourselves up and headed out for Korean BBQ. I'm not really sure how I feel about such a meal. I'm still up in their whether I liked it or not, but in an attempt to not be a negative nancy I'm going to say it was a fun experience.

Afterwards I had a little going away get together, which was lots of fun and I had a really wonderful turnout. I got to see quite a few people I hadn't seen in quite some time and although we couldn't all sit together it was awesome to have so many people I adore in one pub. Much love for these people. It was here that it all really started to sink in for me, saying "I'm leaving on Wednesday" my brain started to comprehend how soon that was. Also, actually saying goodbye to people I see on a regular basis was quite odd as well. Lovely, but surreal.

Sunday started early - well early for someone who was busy for 19.5 hours the day before and went to bed around 1:30am. My Dad was up for brunch, we went to Lazy Loaf & Kettle, and I've told you in previous posts, it is awesome. When we came home we were all pretty tired. We ended up watching "The Town" and "The Other Guys." Both movies were really good. The Other Guys was better than anticipated and although some of the jokes fell flat it was overall well worth my time.

We ended the day with my last soccer match of the season. I'll be sad to be leaving the team as I love playing with them every week. It is lots of fun.

Tomorrow I'm going to be a busy girl. I leave on Wednesday night and the more I look at what I've been putting off the more I start to stress. But I'll get it done, it always works in the end.

1 comment: