Sunday, January 30, 2011

Its best not to rush things


Because I froze yesterday and because I had been out of the hotel for so long in the cold yesterday my motivation to get out of bed and go in to Amsterdam city centre was very low. Both times that I've been to Europe before I spent a lot of time just sitting around outside watching, observing, or walking around, generally touring around the cities. This is tough when it is really cold. For this reason, if you aren't heading somewhere or inside a museum or some other attraction you are looking to be heading somewhere. Ha, this is tough because everything costs money. Either you are paying to get into a museum or paying for a coffee so you can sit inside a cafe.

So today when I woke up, instead of getting out of bed right away, I just kind of lazed around then got up and sat around for a while. It was nice. It was nice to feel like I had time to just hang out. Now, I still get hungry and I didn't want to hang out in my hotel all day.

I think I finally got to the bus around 2pm. I went with no plan, whatever I did I knew I would be happy with. My first goal was to find a good, large meal to eat. It didn't take me long, I stepped inside one of the first restaurants I passed. It was nice because cafe culture is a big deal here, most eateries have patios out front so you can watch the constantly busy streets. If you are lucky you can find a cafe with a covered patio, think like a green house. It is nice to just sit and relax and enjoy a slow meal. I ordered a coffee, which as far as I can tell is a shot of espresso, so note to self just order a latte, ha. I also got a salad and spaghetti. I think I've decided that why I don't seem to like any of the things I've been eating is that the meat doesn't taste like I'm used to. I think the best way to explain it is that all the ground beef I've had has that kind of "wild" taste you get when you eat, say, bison. Anyways it was a good fill me up meal, not very Dutch I'm sure but I'm ok with that.

One lovely thing about the eating experience here is how you aren't bothered. It takes some getting used to but there is never any rush about the whole process. They aren't constantly asking you questions or rushing you out the door when you are done eating.

I set out from there with the intention to just kick around. I decided to take a tram to an area I hadn't explored too extensively and take some pictures. This was a good idea because it allowed me to warm up. That became my new plan, walk around until I was too cold then step into a shop, cafe, or hop on another tram. This worked well. This was also my plan because I forgot all my maps and tourist information so it was an easy way to occupy my time.

I did this until I decided it was time to head back. I stopped at a cafe for a snack before I came to the hotel. I figured it was time to have a pannekoeken or a Dutch pancake if you will. I started with tomato soup which was actually more of a vegetable soup then moved onto a latte with apple pancake. They are huge. Think a larger, slightly thicker crepe with fruit or breakfast things baked between layers of the dough. They are served with powdered sugar and a very thick almost sweet molasses-y syrup. It was quite delicious. The server sat down and talked to me for a while because he said I was too quiet then laughed because I clearly had no one to talk to. Ha. I have to say that Dutch people have all been very friendly and kind and don't mind speaking English one little bit. It is nice.

Then I came back to the hotel, warmed up, watched How to Train Your Dragon - so cute! - and repacked my bags because in the morning I check out of Amsterdam, take a train for just over 2 hours north to Groningen to commence my studies. Well school doesn't actually start until the 14th but the introduction week and information stuff starts on the 3rd I think.

I hope round two of travels go off without a hitch. I hate being the person with so much luggage in public places but it would appear there isn't much I can do about it. Dang.

I realize it is difficult to tell the size of this cup and spoon but I assure you it is very small. As a fun fact, every time you order a coffee/tea here it always comes with a small biscuit. What a treat.

A busker from London I passed in the street today. He was very good.

The aftermath from my apple pancake. Yum.

Looks like the quality of this vid might be awful, you can blame my iphone for that. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like good stuff. Nice vid, always cool to get some live shots of the landscape. Good luck getting to Groningen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that put a great big smile on my face. yea that was great to see your smile in the vid. May be cold there but you warm my heart. And I'm sure the waiter sat down with you cause you were too quiet. Enjoy the train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I'm so damn excited for you right now!

    PS- the waiter was clearly trying to get with you. I know those Dutch waiters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great and I really enjoyed the vid!! Have a safe and enjoyable train trip!

    ReplyDelete