Thursday, January 20, 2011

"The Social Network"

I like movies. Correction, I love movies. They have the power to transport you from where you are into another magical, depressing, happy world. If they are done right they will make you laugh, cry, feel, emote, and generally connect with the story or characters or the adventure.

When I heard about The Social Network I thought for sure it was going to be a dud. I wondered why they even would make a movie about facebook - well I basically assumed it was a cash grab. I really had no interest in it.

But then it came out and it had great - great - reviews on rottentomatoes, which I consider to be a very good indicator of good movies. Its reviews stayed up in the 90% area which is huge, and it had great numbers at the box office. Still, I wasn't convinced.

Now its been nominated for a number of awards and last Sunday at the Golden Globes it took numerous awards even best film - drama. This meant I had to watch it. It must be good, I just couldn't see how.

Well I rented it, and I liked it. So this is me admitting my error. It was a great tale of friendship, personal growth, hard decisions, and mistakes that everyone has to go through when growing up. I enjoyed how the story wasn't linear and it moved back and forth through time. The acting was great and I really felt for a number of different characters. I don't know how accurate of a portrayal it was of reality but I did enjoy how no one person was portrayed as the villain or the hero. In that sense it was very realistic and you get a great sense of remorse and pain from the different perspectives of the many characters.

Definitely worth a view.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't a big fan. I was expecting more. I thought Facebook would be more "back seat". I didn't hate it, just didn't LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete