Thursday, February 10, 2011

Lazy Sunday.. I mean Thursday.

Oh late nights. Hmm. Oh late nights drinking. *sigh* Don't get me wrong, I had fun last night, but not nearly enough fun to warrant doing that too many times again. I have much more fun when I go out like that with great friends. Generally I think great friends make everything better and are the key element missing from this equation. I'm sure some of the people here will become great friends, but right now I miss my friends from back home - you guys are awesome!

I fell asleep shortly after posting last night then woke up for some reason at 6am and heard the end of the Flames game on the Fan960 - yay we won! - then went back to bed. I set my alarm for nice and late in the day but still woke up around 10:30 or 11. When I work up I had a sore throat, I reached for my bottle of vitamin C (as I always do when I have a sore throat) only to realize I left it at home. Alas, I will have to go get some (still haven't done that yet, today was a very lazy day).

In the morning part of my day I watched a new episode of Glee - lovely! - then made my way to start my laundry but ran into some friends in a nearby common room. I hung out there for a while, did some laundry, then eventually made a fantastic breakfast. Nothing fancy, but I made a huge scramble - you know scrambled eggs covering mushrooms, ham, peppers, onions, spinach, and the like. It was delectable.

This "breakfast" probably happened around 3pm, or later. At this time I decided it was time to commit to my next big adventure. I'd found a cheap flight to Milan on the 24th - and I don't have class then so I'll be in Northern Italy until the 1st. As it turns out the cheap flight wasn't quite as cheap as it was the day before. Lesson learned - this seems to keep happening - prices jump quickly so decision making is key. I then looked into hostels etc. The bad news is the trip is going to be more expensive than expected - I guess it is an expensive area to travel to, but I'm ok with it.

I decided to book a hotel while in Milan because most of the hostels I looked at had bad reviews and people complaining about their stuff getting stolen - a lot. I like my things and I would like to keep them. The costs was not too much more than a nice hostel so I'm ok with it. Hopefully it won't be too exorbitant when all is said and done. I am a little nervous to go back to Italy because although it was beautiful I found the people and culture intimidating the first time through. Hopefully, being older and wiser will help me through. The plan is to hit Venice and Milan. I was going to try to get to Florence but the train tickets bumped the cost of the whole trip up so much that I think I'll have to skip it.

Other than that I did a little looking into potentially doing a Turkey/Greece island cruise on my birthday weekend. I'm hoping to find a cheap 3 or 4 day thing. We'll see what comes of it.

I spent the rest of my day in and out of my room doing laundry, socializing in the common room, and I watched the most recent ep of House - not nearly as shocking as the commercial let on but whatever.

I just woke up (its 10pm) because I fell asleep on my bed for almost an hour. I'm so exhausted. People keep asking me if I'm going out tonight, ha. Not likely. I'm hiding in my room to avoid it and I'm going to bed!! So tired and feeling a little sick. Lots of people seem to be getting sick and I want to squash this thing early (don't worry Dad, I'm planning on getting vitamin C tomorrow!). It makes sense though, lots of really late nights out, cold and rainy weather, all mixed with being around lots of new people.

I think most people did about the same, if less today - so many hung over faces today. Hmm. Every time I think I've decided I want to stay in this building I find reasons I want to leave. I just think there is no right answer.

5 comments:

  1. yes! Love hearing about the travel adventures, whoohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me if you need help in Italy, I'll come over for a day or two. Bring you some Vit C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *ring ring*...tiny cell phone..."Helloooo...really?...splendid". ...close tiny cell phone... "how fast can you have your bags packed for Milan?"

    I'm so excited for you. Say hi to my peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish they had something higher than first class!!

    ReplyDelete