Friday, February 11, 2011

Another day in la la land

Because I went to bed so nice and early yesterday I set my alarm for a reasonable hour to get out of bed, but when my alarm went off at 9am and I thought to myself, I don't have much to do today, I quickly went back to bed for a few hours.

Shortly after showering I received a text from a couple of the girls who live in the other wing, you see we decided we wanted to go somewhere and we needed to plan it out. It didn't take long - because the options are endless - to decide to go to Antwerp, Belgium. Decisions were made then we decided to go into the city centre to walk around.

First stop was the Martinitower, the highest church tower in Groningen. It is about 97m tall. We trekked about halfway up, took some pictures, then continued up the narrow & winding staircase up to the highest point you can get to. This puts you just behind the clock. When we were up there we even got to hear the loud bells go off. It was enough to make you jump. We were lucky, and the sun even came out for a little bit while we were up in the tower.

While in the tower we made plans to meet another girl a little later so we went for coffee (kofie) in the meantime. It was quite nice to sit and chat for a bit.

After we met up with the other girl coming to Belgium this weekend we headed to the train station to enquire about the cost of train tickets - the website was very confusing and we were hoping to get a better price than we could find online. Much success! The tickets were in fact much cheaper when you know what you are looking for.

From there the two went to sign up for the fitness centre and I came to the grocery store near our house to buy some vitamin C. Sadly because I can't read Dutch I purchased the chewy kind and not the pills you swallow. Sad about it.

I spent a few hours fiddling around with pictures online. Soon I'll have all my pictures on flickr for your viewing pleasure but right now I only have Mexico and Moncton uploaded. I'll let you know when it is ready. I also spent some time uploading pictures on facebook so you can check there if you haven't already.

After that was done and I'd eaten dinner I headed over to finalize plans - turns out two more girls are coming with us - and now we have a hostel booked! I'm really looking forward to doing something because I've spent too many days sitting around doing not much.

We leave tomorrow morning and will be back on Sunday afternoon/evening. I'm not sure if I'll be able to update when I'm there so you might have to wait a few days for a post, but when I do you can be excited about updates about life in Antwerp and, I'm sure, chocolates!!

Martini Tower
If ever I'm lost I just have to find this tower and I know how to get home

One of the clocks
It is very convenient to have a clock outside that you can always see

Main city square

One of the main streets
I bike in that direction to get to my home

I tried to upload a video I took at the top of the tower but the internet they have provided us is outrageously slow for things like that. I'll try again later, sorry.

3 comments: