Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Study Break

Yesterday night I went to a Pancake Boat here in Groningen. It is really one of the only tourist attractions. I went with a number of people from my intro week group. It was kind of odd to see them all again together, I mean I've seen most of them around, this place is only so big, but it seems like forever ago since we first met and it has only been 4 months.

So normal Dutch pancakes are thin like crepes but served with things inside. Back in January when I first arrived I had one with apple inside. What I've learned is that savoury pancakes are more the Dutch style whereas sweet is more of a deviation.

That said, when you sit down at the table there was still a huge thing of syrup and sugar on the table. Both were very dark, the syrup was very molassesy. I didn't have it on my pancake, but that's because I had one of the savory variety.


So I ordered the Holland Glory pancake which came with cheese, bacon, mushrooms, green peppers, and onions, or maybe tomatoes too. Don't totally remember. You can see the picture below. I took it on my phone so the quality isn't the best, it was kind of dark inside. So you get this pancake that is huge like a pizza and between two layers of pancake dough they have filled it with cheese and your other 'toppings,' maybe ingredients is a better word. Then the bacon was on top. It was so tasty! But essentially it was a pizza on the inside and covered in pancake batter, really, you can't go wrong. I hope to get back there before I go and get a sweet one to give it a try too.


Today I spent a large majority of my time in the library studying for my final exam tomorrow (boring). It went alright. As I was reviewing the textbook I came across this passage that I had underlined and found it quite humerous. Clearly I am in the wrong country. I certainly do not have an aversion to nonsense. Nonsense runs through my veins.


For interest sake, don't know if I mentioned this already, you aren't allowed to take your backpacks or jackets into the library, which can be very annoying. Instead you go into this locker room, put everything you need in a grocery basket, then lock your bag or whatever else you aren't taking upstairs into a locker. This can be a hassle and generally leaves me locking an empty backpack in the locker, or running up and down stairs to get things I forget. This was my basket today.


When I got home from the library a package from two very lovely girls at home was waiting for me. This is a package that we thought had been lost to the sea or somewhere worse as it was taking forever to get here. It was filled with thoughtful and wonderful surprises. Seeing all this great stuff from home made me really excited about the end of June and my return to beautiful Southern Alberta for a summer in Calgary!! It'll be hard to leave, but at least I'll be going to a place I adore to hang out with people that I miss and love!

They know me so well.

3 comments:

  1. aw, what lovely friends you have- what a great package to get!!! Putting your stuff in a shopping basket seems stupid- why do they do that?! And last, I think I tried syrup on a savory pancake in Holland- odd, but I'd do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! so happy the cheerios made it! we thought you would have cheerio powder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annoying about the basket is what it is! I don't really know why, but I have to go just to print stuff there sometimes and it is such a hassle.

    Yay for the Cheerios!! There as a light film of powder covering most everything, which had me slightly confused at first, but they made it and they were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete