Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Kajakken Leuk

Yesterday I told you I was going kayaking through the canals in Groningen. It was great fun. There was only one problem, in the main stretch there was a strong head wind that meant that you either paddled as hard as you could or got pushed backwards. As such I didn't really get to take many pictures. Here are a few:




It's always fun to see the city from the canals or rivers that run through them, it gives you a whole different perspective. At first we weren't very good and kept running into the houseboats along the edge but by the end we were doing alright.

After kayaking I came home and did a bit of studying before heading out for dinner, what a novel idea! Tess' parents are visiting and they wanted to take a group of us out to dinner. We swung by their hotel, had a drink, then ventured out to find somewhere to eat. Sadly for us it was after 10pm and all the kitchens in Groningen shut down at 10pm. Weird right! We ended up eating at a pizza place that you really only ever eat at at the end of your night when you are far too drunk to see the grease pouring off of it. Ha. It was good in a kind of I'd never eat this again sober way. After that we went to another pub for a drink. The rest of the night was a bust as there wasn't much going on in the city centre. I made it home and to bed around 2:30am.

Today I am studying, so far so good. Final is on Thursday; it is written so I think I am at an advantage. Well really I am always at an advantage being a native English speaker when writing tests in English.

Tonight I am going to a Pannekoekschip aka a Pancake Boat to eat Dutch style pancakes with my ESN group from intro week. Sounds very Dutchy and delicious. I'll try to capture a picture or two.

I am quickly realizing how limited my time is here. I head home in less than 5 weeks now. On Monday I am going to Croatia, then I'll come back, write a couple papers and I'll be done school here. After that I'm traveling for almost 2 weeks. At the end of those 2 weeks I'll return to Groningen, have a weekend to pack up my European life and move home the following Monday. It all seems to be happening so quickly! Especially because time spent traveling zips by.

Can't believe it is almost over. I'd love to stay longer but I am looking forward to coming home to see my friends and fam! I can't wait to go camping July long! I have always thought that it is the best time of the year so it'll be great to get home just in time to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment