Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Prague to Groningen, May 6 and other less interesting things

I feel the need to tell you about my last day of travel, not because it is that interesting, but because it gives good closure to my Berlin/Prague stories.

So my cousin was headed back to England early on the 6th, well not really that early, but in terms of traveling it was early enough that no more sightseeing could be accomplished on Friday. I had initially decided to take the 12:30 train back to Groningen which would have me arriving just before midnight and would therefore give me the morning in Prague. The problem with plans like this is it often sees me waiting around cities with a heavy backpack on my back, wishing I'd just started the journey early.

So instead of fretting I decided to turn wishes into reality. My cousin left at 8am at which time I decided to check the train schedule and determined that I could get a 10:30 train. This was good news for a number of reasons. 1) it was not so soon that I would have to skip the hotel breakfast, 2) it would mean that if a train was late (as they often are in Germany) I would be able to catch a later train and still make it to Groningen, you see if I took the 12:30 train and missed any of my trains I would have been stuck in Germany, which, is not what you want to happen, and 3) it meant that I wouldn't have to wait around the city with my pack on

From there it was packing, breakfast, walking to the train, etc.

In total from when I left the hostel at 9:45am it took me exactly 12 hours to get back to the front door of my student house in Groningen.

I went from Prague to Berlin, Berlin to Hamburg, Hamburg to Bremmen, Bremmen to Leer, Leer to Groningen. It was quite a day and a few trains were late, for example my Bremmen to Leer train arrived at the same minute that the Leer to Groningen train was intended to leave, yikes! But I ran, and I made it.

Since then it has been rather lovely weather here, warm, sometimes hot, lately it has been somewhat cool high teens and rainy. I like it like that, especially because it keeps my room a whole lot cooler than the blazing sunshine. Saturday after I got back it was 28degrees here!

Right now I am studying for a final which I will write at 7pm this evening, then on Thursday I have my last lecture in that class so as of this week I will only have one class a week until I am finished on the 10th of June. I can't believe how quickly the time is flying by, only six and a half weeks left! I don't think I'm ready for this to be over :(

No comments:

Post a Comment