Saturday, May 28, 2011

four fifths. eighty percent. zero point eight. four months.

Travel is only glamourous in retrospect - Paul Theroux

So yesterday I didn't want to do two posts. Don't want to wear you guys out ;) and as such I didn't get to do my monthly "I've been here this many months and only have this many months left" reflections.

I have to say, I find a great deal of pleasure that I arrived on the 27th and I will leave on the 27th. Seems like a great closing. Exactly 5 months.

Well yesterday it had been exactly 4 months meaning I only have 1 month left. This is both awesome and scary. I am not ready to say goodbye to this thrilling lifestyle, but who would be? Eventually reality has to come kick you in the head and drag you back to your Monday to Friday work. I'm okay with this. At the moment I am getting ready to go to Croatia and trying to plan my last trip through Normandy, Scotland, and England as I won't have a lot of time to do that in between trips. This makes me stressed, which makes me look forward to going home where the toughest thing I'll have to deal with is drag myself out of bed in time to open the pool at 5:30am three times a week. Hmm.

Both have their perks. What I can say is, I am surprised at how quickly this all went by, but then again 5 months isn't very long. I will also reflect on the fact that coming home makes me a little nervous. People's lives have been changing, things will be different, I will be different, they will be different. Oh personal growth and getting older. And then there is the fact that I'll be coming back broke, I mean don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have spent all my money, but life sucks when you are broke.

On a lighter note, I was in my waste-of-time class yesterday afternoon listening to my professor lecture about how resume can be spelt with or without the é while calling it a resu-me which made me think she didn't understand the point of the é. Anyways, she was talking about resumes and what is considered good/bad and was interested in perspectives from different countries. As much as I detest speaking in that class I offered my opinion being the only resident of North America in the room. I would tell her how we did it in Canada, then she would ask if I meant the States, then I would reiterate that I lived in Canada, this happened a few times. The rest of the class found this rather humours. There was also this little gem of a conversation we had:


Have a great weekend! I probably won't be posting again until after I get back as I don't want to lug my heavy mactop around Croatia.

3 comments:

  1. hah! that convo is just plain silly....how frustrating and funny at the same time. Feels like you've been here for longer than 4 months, or is that just me? Life will be different when you go home, but thats all part of life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As this was an educational trip, i'm certainly glad you are trying to educate them there.

    Since you left, I think everything is different. You may not recognize the landscape. Peoples lives are different and Calgary has shifted more to the Center. Well the PM is from there now with that big majority, so that does look very Centerish, you might even say the middle. ha

    This month is going to fly by, here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was quite a ridiculous conversation indeed. I'd rather people just admit they don't know where it is.

    I agree that it feels like longer than 4 months. I feel like I've been gone for ages. Thinking back to January when I left seems an eternity ago.

    All things considered, the more I think about going home, and the more I do to get ready, I am getting excited to get back to my regular life. BUt I bet that lasts about a week and a half before I start begging to come back. ha.

    ReplyDelete