Tuesday, June 29, 2010

PLAISIR!

I feel that titles are one of the most important aspects of my blog; they are also the most difficult.

Monday the 28th

Monday morning was a doozie. I woke up late, didn't shower, had Albert Einstein hair, and only had about 10 minutes to scarf down my breakfast. Normally when I am running late I seriously debate skipping breakfast, something I am not opposed to at all. However, whenever I think these things I then realize that the reason I slept in is out of exhaustion and therefore I need coffee, this is likely a good thing because it forces me to the caf to eat breakfast.

Unfortunately starting this week a new camp started. It is some sort of young children camp where they speak French. This wouldn't be bad news if they didn't monopolize the cafeteria in the morning creating long lines. These long lines give me even less time to eat in the morning.

Once I got to class my coffee may have spilled, and then a camera crew may have walked in requesting to take pictures to use for advertising for the program. Ha. Must be a Monday. Oh and it was supposed to rain. A lot.

After lunch our afternoon activity was optional - which means that no one when to it, well one girl did, bless her optimistic soul. The rest of us took advantage of the little free time alloted to us and as far as I can tell most people slept for most of it. I only slept for about an hour after a long walk in the pouring rain to and from Shoppers Drug Mart.

Dinner came and went and we were left with an evening activity of speed dating and Family Feud. It is funny because now it is the last week people are starting take advantage of their good behaviour at the start of the program. Those with few or no yellow sheets - or warnings against bad behaviour - are skipping activities, leaving part way through, etc. because no one wants to be there and what are they going to do, kick you out with a day left? And you have to get quite a few before they actually kick you out.

Well we went because why not. Family Feud was actually pretty good and speed dating consisted of us chatting in English so it was alright as well.

Afterwards we returned to res. I decided it would be a good idea to study for my upcoming day of tests (I have to write a final for the program as well as for the class I am taking, in addition to two separate oral exams all on Wednesday because I am leaving early). I guess I should say I decided it was a good idea to study but then didn't study out of sheer laziness and a lack of motivation. This malaise saw me moving around to visit with other people until it was finally time to call it quits and go to bed.

Tuesday the 29th

Today was a far more successful morning - I was up in time to shower, always a plus, and I made it to breakfast in time. I chuckled to myself this morning at breakfast. As it is getting to the end of the program and everyone is equally as exhausted - when I looked around at the faces of everyone in the program as they ate the same breakfast they had been eating for 30 days it was clear that this had become a chore, a chore most were tired of. Faces were long and exhausted. It was more funny than depressing though.

Class was like every other day in class. It has been fun being in the same class with the same people the whole time. Little jokes start to emerge and today I think the entire class went a little crazy. While trying to prepare us for our exam our prof was pretty sure we were all on crazy pills as we all laughed away at every little thing.

After class I was rushed to make it back to res then to lunch in time to catch the bus to Magic Mountain - the waterpark nearby. This was an optional extra activity, well if you didn't go to it you were required to go to the other activity, but this one cost $12 of your own money. We had picked today because it was supposed to be nicer weather. Sadly it was overcast and fairly chilly and tomorrow is supposed to be gorgeous. I was very excited to go! I love the prospect of new scary things to try out and waterslides are very fun.

When we got to the waterpark I won't lie when I say I was a little disappointed that the park was not bigger but that being said they did have a few great slides. First thing I did after dropping my bag off with the monitor was head to the top of the biggest most bad ass ride there was, the Kamikaze! The website says it is "more than a hundred feet long and nearly a vertical drop. You'll reach speeds of more than 60 kilometers per hour." As far as I can tell these things are all true. Sadly it wasn't much fun. Something felt like it was tearing up my shoulders and left them sore and it was over before it started, I much preferred jumping off the 10m tower at work when you actually get to enjoy it and feel the rush, this you couldn't really see what was going on. Either way I did it.

The rest of the rides were pretty swell too! I spent a few hours on and off the slides and in and out of the wavepool that was surprisingly shallow and only medium wavy. I like the waves to be almost too much for me. But that is a lot of wave.

After I spent some time in the hot tub before getting out, changing, and having a bite to eat. Lovely. It would have been nicer to have some sun and some heat but I won't complain because I had fun.

We headed back in time for dinner and I came home to study. Mid way through my studying I got a knock on my door and was elated to be invited for a walk to get some ice cream with some of the lovely ladies who live on my floor.

After getting home I actually got down to studying, or at least I'm trying. Studying is hard when you know that the grades don't matter for anything and you will likely never see them again. The main reason I feel compelled to study is for my prof, she is so great and she tries so hard that me giving up would be an insult to her. I've studied a bit but I don't think I've got much more drive because the thought of packing up and going home is toying with my mind. Also tomorrow night is Wednesday night - or cheap night downtown for drinks, and the night when most people from the program go out. I've decided to turn this into my going away party so until I am done my tests and done packing that will be distracting me. I am excited to get a chance to see everyone socially before I head out the door and back to Alberta.

Today I learned:
  • The fastest waterslide does not make it the most fun waterslide - life lessons in disguise?
  • Attitude is everything
  • I have a lot to pack up tomorrow
I am grateful for:
  • Having no "irrational" fears - this sounds pretentious of me but we all fear things I know, I'm just glad I don't get scared at the top of a waterslide, or scared of bugs, or birds, or whatever else it is. Although maybe being scared of waterslides etc would make them more fun?
  • My relationship with my family - don't know how good it is until you see what else is out there - love you all!

3 comments:

  1. If I knew how to make a little heart symbol here I would, so will do this instead <B (Does that look like a heart?!) hah

    ReplyDelete