Friday, June 4, 2010

Blogzilla

I MOVED!

Today in class the main supervisor (the lady you do not under any circumstances speak English in front of) informed all the classes that she needed to have a meeting with all the girls in the program immediately after class and all the activities for the day had been cancelled. Initially, of course, we were concerned. As it turns out the university had decided it was time to renovate the apartment style res we were living in needed to be renovated (one across the street was already being renovated) and we needed to be moved. Hurrah! They moved us into semi-apartments. It was funny, after the meeting the sun came out and spirits of the group were clearly looking on the up and up. Everyone was elated.

I have a room to myself with my own bathroom including a shower. I have a desk, a small table, a microwave, mini-fridge, and the internet!! And downstairs we have a common room that has a tv, billiards, ping-pong, and other such game tables. It is amazing. We went to eat lunch, pack, and move. It was magical.

Now to tell you about Thursday the 3rd. It was not much to be excited about. Another rainy day in Moncton. Early mornings, class, exhaustion, lunch. Our activity for the afternoon was what we would call "wide games" in Alberta. I don't know if this is a west coast thing but like when I said "budged" instead of "butted" I got weird looks. Anyways it was raining so we had to play inside. It was very much like summer camp, except this time I was 23 years old and didn't want to play. I hate when people sit on the side lines and don't want to play, I'm very much a join-er in-er as opposed to sitting out. Joining in is generally much more fun. However, I was very tired and during these activities the rules against English generally stand because there is supervision, as such I generally can't speak. Anyway, I was glad when they were done.

We went along our merry way, I did some homework, went to dinner, and returned to watch a film en français. We were supposed to watch "Good Cop, Bon Cop" a hollywood half and half French and English film but it couldn't be attained so instead we watched some Québécois cop comedy. Luckily they took pity on us and included English subtitles. It was pretty funny.

We returned home later than I had hoped as I had a test in the morning. I studied and went to bed.

Friday the 4th
Early as usual, breakfast as usual. In class we wrote a test, it was pretty easy, which was good because I only have 3 days of French knowledge under my belt. Class is great. The prof really understands that this is a basic, slow moving, intro class. Although we do cover a lot of material she speaks so slowly, fills in the gaps with English, and is always willing to give extra help. After class we had said meeting (as mentioned above).

After the move I unpacked, and went for dinner, following dinner I made a trek to Shoppers which was actually great. Sometimes a walk is just what is called for post dinner. And now I'm caught up on Glee and getting ready for bed.

Sounds like people might be going out on the town tonight and I have to admit that the last thing I feel like doing is entering awkward drunk social atmospheres with new friends. Mexico ruined me. 26 days of drinking with amazing friends makes me want to go to bed so I'm not tired. ha. Tomorrow is our only free Saturday of the month. A group of 7 of us are renting a van and driving to PEI. I didn't think that I would be able to go anywhere because we were told that we were busy the whole time and had to stay in res every night. We asked and got permission to stay overnight so for the weekend I'll be living it up in another province. I don't really know much about "the island" but I've heard it is pretty. I'm sure it'll be great.

Because I have CAA and insurance that covers the rental I will be the driver of this van adventure. I'm not too worried because I like driving and I don't find it nerve racking but I'm a little worried that something will happen to us and my insurance will pay the price for any mistakes. I trust myself though so it is all good. We are leaving just after 8am (when the rental place opens) which gives me additional reasons for getting extra sleep.

I can't believe I've only been here for 5 full days. It feels like an eternity. I miss my Mexico friends so much, which is odd because I didn't think that I would form such strong bonds while there. Today more photos were posted via facebook and they made my heart sad that I was not in Mexico with those amazing people. Don't get me wrong this is a great experience but Mexico was perfect.

Today I learned:
  • More like I realized that I am only 2 years away from 25. Soon I'll be a bona-fide adult
  • The true nature of my addiction to technology
I am grateful for:
  • Wifi
  • My amazing French professor who baked us chocolate, chocolate chip cupcakes with chocolate icing and sprinkles for todays class because there were two birthdays

1 comment: