Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Once there was a way to get back home...

Today we had our final exam for our first course. It started at 8am and we didn't have to stay for class after. This meant that I was done by about 9am this morning. I stayed to talk to the supervisor with another girl in my class.

When we stopped in the supervisor was doing a very good job at speaking slowly so I could almost understand what was going on. It took a while to clear the room to actually speak to her one on one. When we did most of our concerns were heard but many got a stalk reply of 'we can't make everyone happy' and 'it is difficult to cater to all levels.' I also told her I was going home early which didn't seem to be a problem except that she switched to French and kept telling me that she knew I should understand what she was saying because it had been covered in my class. I was hoping that it would work out that I didn't need to write my final exams but I get to do both in the afternoon of my last day.

After I left I returned to res, went for a walk to check my lotto ticket and buy a new one (because I didn't win). It was gorgeous outside so it was nice to have some time to walk around. I didn't really want to come in but I decided it would be a great day to catch up on my mtv and painting my nails, something that makes me feel both guilty and wonderful. Trashy mtv is a disaster and wonderful.

We had lunch and our activity was going out to brewery for a tour - it would have been good except that it was so humid inside and the entire thing was in French so I didn't know what was going on at all. Something about lunch has been bugging my stomach lately so I wasn't feeling too great. As soon as the tour ended some people stayed to sample the ales while myself and a few others headed back to residence.

We got back and had a few hours before a group of us were meeting up to go out to a small vegetarian restaurant that was supposed to be great for dinner. The thing about the food here is as tolerable, and even at times delicious it was for the first two weeks it has become awful and repetitious and generally depressing. It is however, free; this means that we often rush back to get fed there as opposed to eating out.

On the walk back from the brewery my back was feeling absolutely awful. The kind of awful that gets me focusing on my breathing and telling myself to keep moving one foot in front of the other. I had debated robax but wanted to avoid it so I could have a drink with dinner. I decided after sitting for a while I was good to go to they gym. I went and my back hurt more, I ended up taking robax anyways. That stuff works like crack. It even throws your mind for loops and it is difficult to focus on anything. Which is not comforting.

We walked to the restaurant and my back was still in lots of pain. When I sat down the menue looked amazing. I ordered a fancy sounding pizza but quickly realized it would have fresh garlic on it - something that has been especially toxic to my system as of late. In an attempt to move fast I asked and yes there was garlic, I got to change my order because it was an allergy. I ended up getting a veggie burger that although good was not as satisfying as the pizza looked. Either way it was a great little restaurant that I hope to return to (with a bottle of Pepto in my bag).

We walked home and stopped at a ice cream shop along the way. I got 'death by chocolate' and although I did not die, it was very chocolatey.

Not too much else happened. I sat in the common area for a while this evening while people milled about. People seem to be feeling festive because we wrote a final exam today and because there is a girl turning 19 years old - or legal age out here in NB. So birthday adventures are sure to ensue.

I don't want to the party poop-er and it is kind of nice because there are enough other people in love with the idea of going out that my presence won't be missed. I do have to get up around 6:30am to make it to class and they still haven't left at twenty to 11. If I knew I wouldn't be exhausted for the rest of the week I would consider it but hey I've had five years of that, I would rather be rested then get cheap martinis.

Today I learned:
  • I think that sometimes I might be obnoxiously independent
  • I am the only person here who knows what yukaflux is
  • Days with lots of time to myself are my favorite
I am grateful for:
  • Insoles
  • Comfortable seats on the bikes in the gym
  • Restaurants to escape to from caf food

7 comments:

  1. "Do you want to know a secret" "All you need is love" "Don't let me down" "Here comes the Sun"

    "I'm so tired" "I've got a feeling" "It won't be long now" "Get Back" "Ticket to Ride"

    "Hello, Goodbye"
    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I just happened to be listening to that song when I was finishing up writing and in retrospect it seems a lot more depressing than I intended it to be. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you are leaving early? I thought you had decided to stay? I just can't keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I'm staying. Why the confusion?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your second paragraph is a bit confusing, because you say that you told your prof you would be leaving early,"I also told her I was going home early", but then say that you're writing your finals, which makes it seem like your staying until the end.

    While reading this post I got the impression you were either really tired while writing it, or high on Robax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was writing it while in the presence of many other people, which leads to distraction and dysfunctional writing. I suppose I should clarify. I am leaving two days early, or more like a day and a half early. We were supposed to stay until the 2nd but I booked my flight early the morning of the 1st. The only thing that is different is that I write my finals early then head out. Sorry for the confusion. I assumed this would happen because I don't proof these before I post them. I'll try to be more diligent in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From someone who has been doing some academic copyediting you need to proofread! Thanks to Eli I now understand what you meant to say. Enjoy the last week and a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete