Monday, July 26, 2010

These are the hangover days

Funny thing, isn't it, how fast time flies.

I love team sports. I love them. I tried the whole working out thing and although I liked the challenge and I liked getting stronger it never fulfilled my missing desire for team sports. I don't know if this love of sport started young when I was first enrolled in T-ball or what. I do know that I've always been competitive, hopefully not to a fault.

For my junior and senior years of high school (grade 7-12 for those of you from different systems) I played nearly every school sport offered to me. I even played sports I wasn't that good at (basketball) just to play. I should say that I don't consider myself good at basketball because it is a game where you need to be good at both offense and defense. I've got mad defense skills but my offense is weak, very weak. I've always been okay with this though. I feel tremendous amounts of pride knowing that when we were up against hard competition in basketball I was usually placed on the most skilled opponent, I could defense my way right around them. Until I got the ball then I was kind of a mess.

Anyways back to my story. I spent years playing volleyball, followed by basketball, which sometimes overlapped with badminton (another sport I lack skills at), which also overlapped with curling, and finally my pride and glory: rugby. All of these, with the exception of badminton were played in a team. I loved these sports that I often played them into the summer attending volleyball camps and playing in the Alberta games for rugby two years in a row (took gold one year too!)

The thing is, as I get older (and I know I'm not old) team sports are harder to come by. Unless of course you are really good. Well I should mention that I could have easily played rugby at the university level right out of high school but working and classes easily step in the way of those extra-curricular things. I am so happy to be playing rec soccer in the summer, even if it is just for rec and just once a week, and even if we don't get to practice (practices were sometimes more fun than games). I love the team mentality, working together, and working hard. I never could get used to running - which seems to be the sport of choice for many people my age and older now a days. I guess it is the easy thing to get into, all you really need is a pair of shorts and some runners but I love the team aspect far too much. It also helps that we won our game last Wednesday 4-2 but I won't brag.

As many of you already know I'd been ranting about the Calgary Folk Music Festival and my need to go to it this year. It started on Thursday night and one of my favorite bands (Stars) was playing the mainstage. Although I was unable to convince anyone to come with me I was determined to go. Feeling a little sheepish about going alone I walked to my car and drove down to the grounds.

As an aside: I'd say I have a manic need to be able to do things independently. It isn't like I prefer to go alone to things, quite the contrary, I just feel like not doing something because I am alone is cheating myself out of many wonderful experiences. I try hard to conquer any fear and do things my myself. I figure not going because you can't find a friend is way worse than going by ones self. You should try it. Although I've never gone to a sit down concert alone before I've ventured to movies, restaurants, and now even a festival.

Back to it then. I arrived at the grounds a little late and worried that I would be stuck to the back. I made my way decently to a fairly reasonable place to stand. Stars were great but after seeing someone I only knew a little and in an attempt to avoid our awkward conversation I made my way to the Tim Horton's booth for some tea (I was also chilly). At this time I ran into some friends of a friend shall we say, ok, really it was a friend of my brother's who I know. Either way he spotted me and said hello. The great thing was I was invited along to where they had friends sitting almost at the front. The concert was great, but the concert that followed (The Avett Brothers) was even better. After leaving I was very glad I had not let my fear of standing alone stand in my way. Seems like often times my fears are much bigger in my head than in reality. I felt like it really paid off.

On Friday I attended my cousin's wedding. As I mentioned before I love my family and I love weddings so family weddings are the ultimate for me. It is rare now-a-days that my whole family can get together. When I was growing up I was lucky enough to have an extended family that hung out all the time. Often on weekends everyone would go to the lake to go waterskiing and have a bbq. We also always and I mean always go camping on July Long weekend, which I often don't even consider Canada Day (sorry Canada). It is just that it has always been a family event more than a "fireworks and flags" kind of day for me.

Well back to the wedding. It was a gorgeous day for an outdoor wedding and although it was a cousin of mine who I rarely get the privilege to see anymore it was lovely. Everyone who could be there was and boy did we have a party. Red wine and my family are a dangerous combination. Because he was marrying a girl whose family is traditional Dutch Reform we had to put the dancing off until after the grandparents left - because get this, they aren't allowed to dance (and I thought that was just a crazy concept from Footloose where Kevin Bacon causes a stir). You see, with my family weddings dancing is as much of an integral part as the red wine and the white dress. It was beyond fun and I cannot wait for the next family wedding, whoever that is, no pressure.

The following day required many hours of movie watching and many naps on the couch. In total I believe we watched four movies - none of which I saw in their entirety due to ill planned naps. I started the day with Monsters vs Aliens, followed by Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, 2012, and Public Enemies. Although I was supposed to be at Folk Fest and then even at a friend's bbq that evening I could have cared less. Sometimes we just need a hangover day - which makes me think of one thing (thank you Jason Collet).

I spent Sunday under a shady tree at folk fest with a good book. I bought a new purse and some fire grilled pizza. It was perfect.

However when I returned home I found my home at a staggering 31℃. It was mind numbingly hot.

I was depressed to go back to work today - the pool is officially closed today and we are in "Shutdown" or more affectionately known as "Shitdown" or "The worst time to work at the UCAC." It shouldn't be that bad we just have to clean many things and we are often required to use harsh chemicals and acids which require us to be wrapped in PPE (personal protective equipment) which for us means being covered head to toe in rubber rain gear. This equals a lot of sweat and exhaustion. The thing is, it pays well and the hours are decent. This will not stop me from hating it though.

Please tell me if this is too long, I mean to keep them shorter and update more often but when you are a busy girl it is tough to force yourself to update when there are episodes of True Blood you could be watching.

Today I learned:
  • Team sports beat individual sports any day, at least in my books
  • I have great eyebrows - thanks Amanda! ha.
  • Waiting in line for half an hour for an expensive flame grilled pizza is totally worth it
  • Driving around long enough downtown will reward you with free street parking near where you are going (on a Sunday of course)
I am grateful for:
  • A free night
  • This great thunderstorm
  • Shady trees
  • Friendly people
  • My car and the roof over my head
  • Fans
  • I could say my family every time so I think from now on you should assume that it is implied that my family kicks ass
  • More like I am happy - that my cousin is coming home soon! I can't wait to see her (safe travels)

3 comments:

  1. I believe you forgot about the fifth movie, "The Tale of Despereaux" but I think you may have slept through most of that one. Very lazy day that one was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that there may have been another movie, maybe before Jer got up? Maybe not. I was in and out of slumber so very often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you guys watched another movie before I got up, you must have started early...!

    ReplyDelete