Tuesday, July 20, 2010

In Summary

I feel like I'm one step behind my life, playing catch up constantly. I was certain that by mid-July I'd have things back in order, or at least feel like I had things under control. It isn't even as though I have that much I need control of, it is just that I feel like life is running me instead of me running my life.

So I'd like to apologize for the hiatus but as mentioned above I feel like I don't have time for anything, let alone blogging. I had drafted and completed a post but sadly when I returned to my computer (as previously mentioned) it was gone. In an attempt to avoid your boredom I'll try to be concise.

I spent the last few weeks visiting friends I hadn't seen since my departure in May and some whom are new friends from Mexico. The thing is, this kept me on a steady nightly schedule of visits, by the time Thursday rolled around I was exhausted from working early and being out every night. It isn't that many of these things were exceptionally time consuming, a dinner here, a soccer game there, but it was the constant running around that kept me tired. I ended up avoiding any and all activity this weekend that was lovely but did little for reorganizing and getting me back on track for feeling on top of life.

The thing about being busy is it is what I am used to. When school is on I am crazy busy all the time and right now I just happen to be booked up until next Monday. My weeks turn into hectic schedules of visits, dinners, and movies. Don't get me wrong I love these things but I feel like doing all these things makes me lazier in my down time. ha. I guess you just can't win right? When you aren't busy you complain that you need to do more but when you are busy you complain there isn't enough time. I'll try and keep my sorrows to myself because the prospect of being out and about with people I adore every night is very encouraging.

As many of you know I moved into the condo my Mom owns in Calgary. This condo was a purchase to help us kids out with a place to stay while we were going to school but amazingly in my five years of University I had never lived here. I had, however, always considered it a second home. It was the place I went when I wanted a change of scenery, a big tv, some very chill company, perhaps a free meal, and maybe even a couch to crash on after one too many glasses of wine. This made moving in weird. I am hesitant to use the word weird, but I think it fits. For the first week or so I certainly felt like a house guest because that is all I had ever been here, and I had in fact stayed for a week at a time.

Once I was able to better organize my room and settled in it felt like home. It is nice to live with family again. It just seems so easy. My brothers are pretty great guys. I've really enjoyed the two plus weeks I've been here.

Now I should mention that setting up my room has been a challenge - I don't know why it was so difficult, but it sure was. I basically have my bedroom done and I am lucky enough to get an office which I think will prove to be very beneficial during the school season. The office however is in ruins. I need shelves, lots of shelves. I love to be organized. Organization is key. As much as I can survive with a disorganized place and disorganized schedule it drives me to near insanity. So while I can be at peace with a room that was organized and is just out of order a room that has never had any order is frustrating to no end. I've made peace with the office for now though because there is not much that can be done about it right now.

Since returning I've been lucky enough to start back up with my soccer team from last summer, well really it is the team my brother put together that I was sucked into and found that I really loved. My first game back was last Wednesday, we were short on subs and only had two girls (both of us had to be on the field the whole time). Although it was fun it was also punishing. With a new set of cleats and severely underused legs I found myself exhausted with some huge blisters and two cramping calf muscles. It was great though. Due to being low on subs we lacked the back up required to grasp the win but we played really well.

Last night I saw Inception, it was great, you should go see it.

This week I am excited to see Stars, they are a Canadian band with some great music. I've seen them live three or four times now and I swear they get better every time. They are playing the Calgary folk festival on Thursday night and I can not wait. Also this weekend my cousin is getting married! I love weddings and I love my family and I especially love family weddings! Basically what I am saying is that I am very excited.

If you've read my brother's blog A Dynamic Commotion you may be familiar with a post of his (The Sport of TV) where he discusses the wonder/dilemma that is TV on DVD and a new-ish show True Blood. Well many people I know have been raving about True Blood for quite some time so I finally committed to watching it. It is fabulous and as my brother says, they are only on the 3rd season so catching up is quite manageable. In the last two days I've made my way half way through season one and I'm hooked.

Lately I've learned:
  • Naps are necessary for surviving early morning jobs
  • Vampire shows that do not include a vampire named Edward can be awesome
I am grateful for:
  • Pictures people keep posting from my two trips - thanks for the memories friends
  • Old friends
  • My favorite movies
  • Being a total geek
  • Being able to make my coworker laugh so hard every morning that she glares at me. ha. And her ability to make me laugh until I spit out water.

No comments:

Post a Comment