Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Not The Breast Summer Ever!


I heard about this radio contest (AMP Radio 90.3) the other day from a friend of mine. I have to say initially I had a jaw dropping reaction to it. Since then I've been mulling it over a lot. The premise is, you post a photo and write a blurb about why you deserve to win the augmentation, finalists are selected and voted on by the public, the individual with the most votes wins.

Here is what I've come up with:
  • First of all I think that plastic surgery, if done for the right reasons, can be a positive thing
  • If you think about it, I had braces, braces which straightened my teeth to make my smile substantially prettier, at least that is what we value right? A set of straight pearly whites? And I will 100% say that getting braces helped my self confidence and made me feel better about myself
  • We consider braces a normal thing, a procedure that changes what we were born with into something considered more socially acceptable and beautiful
  • So from that stand point I think that should someone get a little bit of plastic surgery to change something, say a giant nose, that they are constantly self-conscious of, and it would substantially increase their happiness and give them a positive self image, who am I to say no
  • In that same vein I feel that breast implants can be a positive thing, if you feel you would be happier with a little bit of a bigger cup than why not, right?
  • My problem with this contest lies in the fact that it isn't really supporting the idea of surgery after long personal reflection
  • My problem is, it seems to present the idea that the only way to have the 'best summer ever' is win bigger breasts, the focus is all wrong
  • Maybe that is just semantics
  • I don't feel like I can judge and tell everyone who gets plastic surgery that they are wrong, but I think it has to be done in an intelligent way and quite frankly, this doesn't seem very intelligent to me
  • To me, this just seems like an easy way to sell sex and place the wrong emphasis on what is important, because clearly the 'best thing ever' would be winning bigger breasts *rolleyes*
  • Then again, I wonder if anyone who wasn't already considering a breast augmentation would apply to this contest anyways
  • I guess overall I just feel like it sends the wrong message about where we place our values
  • Maybe they should do a contest whereby I could win $10,000 to put towards my education? Have I gone too far, did I cross the nerd line?
What do you think? I would appreciate your thoughts :)

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this (http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Wrong+message/4948232/story.html), and also doubly enjoyed how essentially we ended on the same note. I agree it is an exploitation of women to make money, and that makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love a great debate and I love intelligent discussion, so I won't comment on Eli's words of comedy. Always good to hear your opinion and how you back it up. You need to stand up for the way you see things.

    You even made it to the first page on a google search with your blog post.

    I think the voting method is the most degrading. Post your picture for the masses to vote on who they want to have larger breasts. This in no way gives an equal chance as they are making it sound on their interviews. The one who may need this the most is most likely not even going to make the top 10 for the vote.

    Beauty and the Breast, that will be the outcome. That's what draws attention. That's all the Radio Station is after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When this debate came up I was sure a radio station did something like this years ago, but I may be wrong. It just sounded familiar, and I remember a lot of issues arose with it. I also had a friend on facebook dropping the F-bomb of how disgusted she was about it.

    I looked on the amp radio fb page expecting to find many people up in arms about it all, but most people were excited, and anticipating the competition.

    Some of them made the point that women entering were not 18 years old that just wanted a "nicer rack" but mothers of 3 children that were feeling a big down about their appearance, or women that had lost copious amounts of weight that needed a lift.

    It made me think a bit differently about it all, like your blog post seems to have reflected too. Hey, if girls want to go for this to make them feel better, so be it. Some people need a bit of plastic to make them feel better and more confident. For you and I it may be a new outfit, or a stunning achievement in life, for others its looks.

    For the radio its shameless self promotion, and it sure has people talking doesn't it?!

    (ps. Eli you are silly, and always funny)

    ReplyDelete