Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Bookshelf


While in Croatia last week I finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I had seen this book many times before, knew that it had won many awards but prior to this trip I've been very hesitant to buy books unless I've been explicitly told by someone I know it is good, and even then I was skeptical. I think this was because I didn't read them very fast and I hated the idea of spending money on something I didn't enjoy. Now that I'm reading a ton it is easier to pick up books on more of a whim.

Anyways, in terms of popular books, this one has been popular for quite some time so I wouldn't be surprised if a number of you had read this. It is a really really great book. I loved it. It is a simple story of a boy with asperger syndrom attempting to solve the murder of his next door neighbour's dog. It is written from his perspective. It is a very easy, quick, and interesting read and one that left me smiling. Always great to have books leave you with warm and fuzzies at the end. If you haven't read it I highly recommend it.

Because I hadn't taken another book with me I popped into a bookstore in Split and picked up Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. I'm only about a third of the way through but I'm really enjoying it. It is a lot different than the last few books I've read which have been written from the perspective of children. Although the main character in this is only 15 years old the writing is so much more poetic and elegantly descriptive. I fully expect to get through it on my trip to France coming up.

What are you reading lately? Have you read The Curious Incident? What did you think?

1 comment:

  1. I read the curious incident ages ago, so I don't remember much about it. However, I do remember being pleasantly surprised and really enjoying it.

    I am still reading that darn Berlin Wall book. It's all a lot of details about political leaders, ect ect and this point, and no wall yet. I am interested to read about how peoples lives were changed and the human side of it all, rather than all these politicians names I won't remember. Pfft.

    I also think its time to buy a new book, but must finish this one first.

    ReplyDelete