Sunday, October 2, 2011

Let There Be Oats! (round 2) This time, with oats

So in my ongoing search for a healthy breakfast muffin I've moved onto my second recipe. Although due to a lack of muffin tins (still packed away at my Mom's house) I decided to look for something that would work better baked in a pan. I naturally found a recipe for an oatmeal bar that was made to be baked into a 9x9 square pan (lo and behold my 9x9 pyrex is also packed away at my mothers). Once again I ended up using a circular cake pan (I really need to get my baking life in order, this is getting ridiculous!)

Alright, so to the recipe! I found this one on Kath Eats Real Food blog and from what I've seen I will be on there more often! She has an entire section for a 'tribute to oatmeal' (woman after my own heart).

Basically it is oats, walnuts, dried fruit (of your preference), seeds (of your preference) and cinammon. I added raisins, dates (my fave), as well as some from a mixed bag, it had things like cherries, blueberries, and cranberries. As for the seeds I threw in some flax, sunflower, and pumpkin. I also threw some coconut in but I would definitely add more next time cause I can't really taste it.

Mixin' the dry ingredients
Ready to go in the oven  
Ready to eat

I'm a pretty big fan of these. They are very hearty and natural, not a lot of added anything. I did add some brown sugar as there isn't really any sweetness in these except the dried fruit. I think if I made them again I would cut up some apples and add extra cinnamon only because if you don't have any dried fruit in your bite it is pretty tasteless. Also because I absolutely love oatmeal with apples and cinnamon. Now rest assured if you do have fruit in your bite it is very very tasty.

1 comment: